Thru Hull Wrench Needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hinmo

Thru Hull Wrench Needed

Post by hinmo »

I am going to re-install my thru hulls for my cockpit drains and need a wrench or installation tool. Anyone in the Northeast have one I could borrow (I'll pay for shipping). Or, want to sell?

Thanks - JH
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
Jim Walsh

Re: Thru Hull Wrench Needed

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve never had a “real” throughhull wrench. I just used a piece of flat bar stock of the appropriate size held with vice-grips. Here is another method. Most of us have old worn sockets which are happy to be given a new lease on life.
IMG_0566.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have one you can borrow. When and where do you need it? It's on my boat at the moment in mid-coast Maine. If you're planning to attend the NE Fleet winter meeting at Flanders, I could hand it to you in-person.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

When I installed 4 new thru-hulls this past Spring I used this wrench:
Buck Algonquin 3BTHW50150 Thru Hull Step Wrenches.
Amazon has it for $63 now and other online sources have it as low as $55.
I'd sell it to you but I plan to replace the final two thru-hulls soon.
My whole project to replace 4 thru-hulls and seacocks cost about $1K so I thought the extra 50 bucks was worth it.

It also made it easy to do the dry-fit without a helper - I tied some thin line to the step-wrench and was able to pull the thru-hull up into the hull from inside the boat.

When I removed the old thru-hulls I hammered in a chisel and used a large adjustable wrench and a 3 foot length of PVC pipe for leverage. You can see my write up of the whole process here:

viewtopic.php?t=38881

Note: I needed the extra long thru-hull (which Groco has) for the engine intake because the hull was pretty thick back there and I used a backing plate. You may have a similar situation back there with the cockpit drains.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

The first time I took a some thru hulls out, I used a regular Craftsman wrench. Take a selection of different sizes of large wrenches, the kind with the the open end on one side and the 6 or 12 point circle on the the other. Try to insert the wrench length-wise into the thru hull. Find the one which is big enough to catch on the two rails inside the thru-hull yet fits into and out of the round part of the inside diameter. Then get a big crescent wrench or anything else for leverage, put it on the other end, and unscrew the thru hull. It works fine but is a bit clumsy.

The second time, I had purchased the Buck Alogonquin spud wrench but when I went to use it, the rails inside the Spartan thru-hulls were too thick to fit into the channel on the wrench so I had to revert back to the Craftsman wrench.

Later I had the channels in the spud wrench machined slightly wider so they now properly fit the Spartan thru hulls. I prefer the spud wrench as a better solution but the Craftsman wrench was suitable. Some folks here seem able to use the spud wrench with no problem so I presume either Spartan had different thickness rails on later production or my wrench was non-standard or defective. I mention this in case you decide to purchase the wrench and find it doesn't fit without modification.

-Steve
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

I've been using an old radiator spud wrench on thru hulls for years. It works pretty well with a pipe wrench to apply the twist.
John Ring
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.