The most powerful outboard CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ferryworker

The most powerful outboard CD 25

Post by Ferryworker »

What is the most powerful outboard that will fit in the CD 25 engine well
Carl Thunberg

Re: The most powerful outboard CD 25

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I hate to see a post go unanswered, so I'll get the conversation started. On my former CD25, I could fit a 6HP Tohatsu in the well, but couldn't turn it inside the well, so I steered with the tiller.

Could you provide some context to your question about "most powerful". Are your sailing waters unique that require more horsepower?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Scott B.

Re: The most powerful outboard CD 25

Post by Scott B. »

I know this is an old post but I have had to deal with this for a while on my 78 CD25. I was told they came new with a 7.5 hp, 2-stroke Merc. This fit in the motor well because the 2-stroke engine head was small enough. I bought it used with a 15 hp, 2-stroke Merc. You couldn't rotate it so I had to use the tiller for steering. However, I use it mostly in saltwater. The motor was so heavy, I had to leave it in the motor well for the season. But in some slack water harbors where I moored it, the marine growth went crazy over the submerged lower unit and I had to pull it occasionally to clean it, not an easy job for such a heavy motor. I don't think CD meant this boat to have a "permanent" outboard in the well with salt water. Plus the extra weight degraded the boat speed, etc. Plus the 2-stroke was smokey and stinky. I had to leave the well cover open during operation to allow enough air supply.

Fast forward ahead, I found a nice 5 hp, 4-stroke Honda that fits just perfectly in the well. I still don't use it to steer. I just fasten it straight and steer with the tiller. I need this motor to travel from my winter storage launch point to my mooring (4 miles) in the Spring and back in the Fall. I then pull this motor and install a similarly nice 2 hp, 4-stroke Honda on a rail-bracket outboard mount for whenever I needed it. The 2 is so light, I can easily install it in the motor well even when I am sailing solo if I need it to get to the mooring in high winds or choppy seas.

Not the perfect solution, but the 5-hp gives me plenty of power. The 2-hp gets me the last leg to the mooring (if I need it. I typically sail right up to the mooring) and I can pull it easily out of the water and the marine life. That's my story.