Port light screens

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

j churchill
Location: former owner SKUA, CD26 #49, current owner CD24T #007

Port light screens

Post by j churchill »

Need a couple of port light screens. They are available from Spartan. But they also look like they would be an easy 3D printer project.
Any try making their own?
John Churchill
Ocala, FL
keneasley

Re: Port light screens

Post by keneasley »

I have not but Sam Holmes has made screens.

This video shows some at about 9 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKwqcnv6Fk&t=573s

These look to be sun screens but I recall that he did make some insect screens but unable to find at the moment.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I met Sam Holmes while in Bermuda in June of 2021. He had prepped “Pickled Herring” for the passage to the Azores, including stowing his tender. He had just cleared Customs and I brought him from the dinghy dock to his boat with his last minute purchase, a cheese pizza.
A very nice kid but his preparation and “innovative” solutions still make me cringe when thinking about them. I admire the fact that he is actually doing what most dream about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Best screens for our boats. Used mine for twenty years and Western Lake Superior has formidable flying insects. I said Formidable.

https://www.screensofschoonerbay.com/screen/
Paul
CDSOA Member
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Please report back if you have success with 3D printed screens. Our library has a 3D printer so I have toyed with the idea of trying. Seems like it would require some experimentation to find a density of openings that is strong enough but allows good airflow. I'll see if I can find what Sam did. We have some plastic framed screens in our 25D that are kinda busted - maybe UV weakened.

Thanks Paul for sharing. I also have a few of those in our new 25D and wondered where they were from. They work very well.
Jim Walsh wrote:A very nice kid but his preparation and “innovative” solutions still make me cringe when thinking about them.
I kinda admire the practicality of some of his modifications and repairs - not fussing over perfection or aesthetics in the name of getting out sailing - but agree it feels like he has pushed it a few times. Or a marginal increase in effort would have made a better longer lasting repair.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have Schooner Bay screens as well. Superbly made and very effective.