Perkins Cove, Maine - highest density of all-time?

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: bobdugan

CapeDory22

Perkins Cove, Maine - highest density of all-time?

Post by CapeDory22 »

In a mooring field of fewer than 60 boats, I counted (2) Typhoons; (1) 22 (22D? as it had no motor bracket); (2) 27s; and (1) 28. Thats > 10% !

I'd certainly be curious if anyone has any history of a dealer in/around that area, as it seems too coincidental to have the ratio of CD:others in one small cove.

It was also fun to google the mooring waiting list... # 1 on the non-commercial list was added in April, 1995... and he still waits... (noting that the list was updated in March, 2023, so it's 'current')
Attachments
Perkins Cove.jpeg
Perkins Cove.jpeg (4.81 MiB) Viewed 467 times
wikakaru

Re: Perkins Cove, Maine - highest density of all-time?

Post by wikakaru »

Thanks for sharing the photo! I understand that the Rappahannock River Yacht Club in Virginia and the Henderson Harbor Yacht Club in New York both have good-sized Typhoon fleets and might give Perkins Cove a run for its money. When we were moored up in Fox Islands Thorofare Maine there were at least 3 Typhoons visible from our mooring, though none of the bigger boats. It's always nice to see a good concentration of Cape Dory yachts in one place, especially if they are well maintained as the ones in your photo look to be.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Thanks for sharing, Jim!

In my cove on Lake Champlain (Converse Bay), there's three (3) Ty Weekenders and a Ty Senior. The next one north finds another three (3) Tys in the mooring field and two (2) 'on the hard.' Several other, larger models dot the waterfront... up to and including a 40 (Serenity), which is the largest CD I've seen in person (and I've been looking for over 40 years!). They're pretty perfect boats for a lake that can turn deadly in minutes... I've had the rather unpleasant experience of going from no wind to 40 MPH gusts in a matter of minutes, resulting in the shredding of a head sail on a 38' racing sloop. I'm pretty content with securing of a full keel in case things go south.

Does anyone know of an historical resource that identifies dealers? I believe Marblehead Yacht Sales was when I was a kid... certainly have clear memories of looking at them new in the early '80s overlooking Little Harbor. Would be interested to learn of New England dealers, as there also seems to be a high concentration in Lake Winnipesaukee.
Attachments
IMG_8806.jpg
IMG_8806.jpg (815.88 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

No picture , but in Bullock Cove, East Providence RI, there are a 33,30, 2 27s, and 2 Typhoons. Probably at least a couple at Cove Haven in slips.
Good and popular boats!
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Sweet pics!