Lantern oil

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

S/V Ethan Grey

Lantern oil

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

For those of us that are lovers of old brass lanterns, finding a no-odor kerosene or paraffin oil is a challenge. I have tried a few and I am very pleased with Lamplight Ultra-Pure clear lamp oil. This has the least odor of any paraffin or kerosene that I have found so far. I have a few Perko lanterns in the cabin and I love to light them for heat, light & ambiance. However, the smell can give me a headache, even with a porthole cracked open. This has the faintest of odors and what you can smell is not overbearing.

Anyone else have any no-odor favorites?

I also found this at the local Ace hardware and it was reasonably priced. Now I just need some cooler weather :)

BTW, that is the small (9") Perko anchor light. I had a large one and sold it. It was too big for my CD30. I love this little guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Lantern oil

Post by jbenagh »

That's the brand I use. I kind of recall they made a slightly different formulation with a light blue label but don't remember what was the difference.
Jeff
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Any suggestions on sourcing similar lamps? I have a small Dietz collection, but all are oversized for our boat... and the Weems & Plath is pricey.
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

vttyphoon wrote:Any suggestions on sourcing similar lamps? I have a small Dietz collection, but all are oversized for our boat... and the Weems & Plath is pricey.
I wish I did. I just watch Ebay and wait...and wait...and wait ;)
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

With the incandescent bulb ban now in effect, I am doubling down on efforts to find LEDs that aren't blue in appearance... which is why I fire up the Dietz lamps every so often, as the glow is familiar and calming. Especially in winter.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

vttyphoon wrote:Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

With the incandescent bulb ban now in effect, I am doubling down on efforts to find LEDs that aren't blue in appearance... which is why I fire up the Dietz lamps every so often, as the glow is familiar and calming. Especially in winter.
Look for the "Kelvin" rating of the LED if there is one. "Warm" LEDs that have a similar color to incandescent bulbs are 2700-3000 Kelvins; those "cold" blueish LEDs are 4000-5000 Kelvins.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

“Lamp oil” is very expensive. I have had great success with Sunnyside K-1 kerosene in my oil nav lights (replaced them last year with led nav lights) and still do in all my interior oil lights. I run the same kerosene in my heater. You can by it in a gallon can, though I buy it in 5 gallon cans. The last can I bought (Nov 2021) I paid $39 for 5 gallons. It’s pure kerosene with no dies. No smell. Keep the wicks properly trimmed and no smoke. I have purchased it from TSC and True Value Hardware stores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

vttyphoon wrote:I am doubling down on efforts to find LEDs that aren't blue in appearance

you are looking for the warm white 3000K led. i like the 4000K and 6000K daylight led because it really illuminates things. we do have the warm white led over the settees. i call them the Bogart lights :)