CD 36 Bilge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ptuiterwyk

CD 36 Bilge

Post by ptuiterwyk »

Hello all,

I have a 1988 CD36 that I purchased this winter, sailed down to the Boston area from Maine in June, and have been sailing (very happily) this summer.
The previous owner has only one automatic bilge pump installed and am wondering what others use for their CD36 (and if you had any sample pictures/recommendations).
In particular, I am not pleased with the location of the bilge pump in the deep bilge (there is access in a panel in the floor just behind a separate panel that shows the rear end of the fuel tank and fuel gauge). The pump does not sit deep enough such that there is always some amount of water in the bilge. Any thoughts/recommendations would be certainly welcome (one such recommendation I read proposed attaching a weighted plate the bilge pump so that it rests at the bottom of the deep bilge).

Many thanks,
Patrick
s/v Havik
1988 CD36
Frenchy

Re: CD 36 Bilge

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Patrick, one option which I adopted from Don Casey's book is to put the manual bilge pump inlet down at the
bottom of the bilge and put a high capacity automatic pump higher so that it normally will be dry. The thinking
is that the manual will suffice to remove nuisance water while the automatic will be kept clean and dry for an
emergency.
I would think your boat must have a manual pump in the cockpit. If it doesn't, I would install one. The
suggestion for a weighty strainer is a good one, I think.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
ptuiterwyk

Post by ptuiterwyk »

Many thanks, Jean, for the response!
Yes, there is a manual pump in the cockpit.

Best,
Patrick
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have no electric pumps on my 36. I have a single Edson bronze model 117. Gallon a stroke. Found it in a consignment shop but never used. It's located aft next to the watch seat. Run it through a Jabsco selector switch so I use the pump to evac the grey water tank as well as the bilge.

I might have a better picture if you're interested. In the attached photo you can see the handle aft of the watch seat and to the left of the engine box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.