Leoma. Lee cloths boat name

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma. Lee cloths boat name

Post by JD-MDR »

Is that what they are called. Lee cloths/curtains? Anyway. I like others, especially authorities being able to see the name easy. I had this on a previous boat. A neighbor said its more common in Europe. I had to make the letters out of sunbrella fabric and sew them on. They told me it takes special equipment to iron on and sunbrella wont take die. The neighbor helped me with his sewing machine. Actually I made the letters and I watched him sew them on. I used the same Algerian font that is on the transom
Attachments
8FB08B3D-AC24-4A2E-835E-EA41D31A8080.jpeg
8FB08B3D-AC24-4A2E-835E-EA41D31A8080.jpeg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 520 times
201D5931-B3F4-4019-AB3B-F07C2CA18F97.jpeg
201D5931-B3F4-4019-AB3B-F07C2CA18F97.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 520 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
keneasley

Re: Leoma. Lee curtains boat name

Post by keneasley »

Looks great, and I'm sure they will make the boat more comfortable for your colder Pacific waters.

One thought I had for your boat - I saw in some of your posts the old screw-in snaps for the dodger.
I found the adhesive backed snap fittings from sail-rite to work very well.

https://www.sailrite.com/YKK-SNAD-White ... -Base-Stud

I removed the old screw-in snaps and then drilled, chamfered and filled the holes with thickened epoxy and then affixed the adhesive backed snaps. They have held up very well now for 4 years and I've eliminated many holes through the deck. Some of the old holes were through cored areas and the underlying wood pretty moist.
adhesive snaps.JPG
adhesive snaps.JPG (762.95 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Re: Leoma. Lee cloths boat name

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:Is that what they are called. Lee cloths/curtains? Anyway. I like others, especially authorities being able to see the name easy. I had this on a previous boat. A neighbor said its more common in Europe. I had to make the letters out of sunbrella fabric and sew them on. They told me it takes special equipment to iron on and sunbrella wont take die. The neighbor helped me with his sewing machine. Actually I made the letters and I watched him sew them on. I used the same Algerian font that is on the transom
You have a very handsome set of “weather cloths”. Much more common on the European boats than on North American boats. They always look good as far as I’m concerned.
“Lee cloths” keep you from falling out of your bunk in a seaway. These are not just practical but a necessity, even though I always sleep on the lee settee berth.
Attachments
IMG_0574.jpeg
IMG_0574.jpeg (705.13 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Leoma. Lee cloths boat name

Post by John Stone »

Jim's correct. Weather cloths. I saw a nice set on Yves Gelinas' Alberg 30. The top half of the weather cloth could be unsnapped and folded down to the middle lifeline then tied off allowing more air across the boat when anchored. Anyway, they are very practical and look very shippy. I like em.