New mainsail for my Ty

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

New mainsail for my Ty

Post by pjust »

My Typhoon needed a new mainsail and on advice of a couple of local sailmakers I decided to go loose-footed. I've had Dolcetto out twice (now that it's stopped raining) and I couldn't be happier with the new sail. I'm getting at least half a knot more out of her than I did with the old sail. Rigging the outhaul for the new sail took a little fussing--I used two blocks for an easier pull--and I think I still may replace the horn cleat on the boom with a cam or jam cleat to make adjustments while under weigh a little easier. Only a spot of trouble yesterday when Genius Sailor Boy forgot to put a stopper knot at the end of the outhaul line and the whole shebangabang went flapping when I was shifting between settings. Won't happen again.

So if you're in the market for a new main for your Ty, I highly recommend getting a loose-footed one.

By the way, the new sail has my hull number on it, so if you see Ty 602 out on Penobscot Bay, give a toot!
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
radsailor

Re: New mainsail for my Ty

Post by radsailor »

I have a 3:1 purchase for my outhaul. Every time I make an adjustment under way, I swear I am going to replace the horn cleat with a cam or jam cleat. After reading your post,
maybe I will finally do it.
hinmo

Re: New mainsail for my Ty

Post by hinmo »

Where'd you get the main and how much?
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"