Cape Dory 30 cutter - from wheel to tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Windquist

Cape Dory 30 cutter - from wheel to tiller

Post by Windquist »

This is my (our) first post here. I will attempt to make it clear and hopefully, helpful to others.
Project 1 2023
Our CD 30 cutter had significant soft, wet coring under the Edson binnacle, the idler wheel system was pretty corroded. Bought this lovely CD in spring of 2022 - we had short & educational seasonal outings in Penobscot Bay. Cutter rig allowed us the fun of using genny and staysail, learning all the time! Fall allowed for wheel removal and working with Edson, arrived at the point deciding the tiller would be our future method of steering. I won't get into the arguments for tiller over wheel, if you don't mind.
1" 1/8 - Rudder shaft coming up had a funky, but workable square top to use "emergency" tiller. Our plan is to cut the top of this rudder shaft down 6" to where a keyway was locking Edson quadrant into place. On top of the new, "fully "keyed" shaft, we will connect a new shaft via a "muff-sleeve" keyed coupling. We've replaced entire cockpit sole with glassed-in marine plywood with hole for new engine access hatch & rudder post that will feature a Spartan tiller head. Yes, there will be photos, but this post is to put it out there to see if any members - have done this OR plan to do this.
Would humbly enjoy hearing from you.
Peace out. PLindquist Windquist II
camroll

Re: Cape Dory 30 cutter - from wheel to tiller

Post by camroll »

I took the wheel off of my CD 36 and installed a tiller. I bought a 8" x 1 1/2" ss bar and had keyways cut in either end. I used an Edson coupler to attach it to the rudder shaft and then I bought a rudder head at a consignment store. I made my own tiller. I just left the quadrant where it was as that had the rudder stops built in. Good luck with your project. Maybe we'll see you out on the bay. Also there is the Northeast fleet cruise this summer starting in Rockland. Hope to see you there
Russ
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Windquist wrote:This is my (our) first post here. I will attempt to make it clear and hopefully, helpful to others.
Project 1 2023
Our CD 30 cutter had significant soft, wet coring under the Edson binnacle, the idler wheel system was pretty corroded. Bought this lovely CD in spring of 2022 - we had short & educational seasonal outings in Penobscot Bay. Cutter rig allowed us the fun of using genny and staysail, learning all the time! Fall allowed for wheel removal and working with Edson, arrived at the point deciding the tiller would be our future method of steering. I won't get into the arguments for tiller over wheel, if you don't mind.
1" 1/8 - Rudder shaft coming up had a funky, but workable square top to use "emergency" tiller. Our plan is to cut the top of this rudder shaft down 6" to where a keyway was locking Edson quadrant into place. On top of the new, "fully "keyed" shaft, we will connect a new shaft via a "muff-sleeve" keyed coupling. We've replaced entire cockpit sole with glassed-in marine plywood with hole for new engine access hatch & rudder post that will feature a Spartan tiller head. Yes, there will be photos, but this post is to put it out there to see if any members - have done this OR plan to do this.
Would humbly enjoy hearing from you.
Peace out. PLindquist Windquist II
You won't get any argument from me about wheel to tiller conversion. I converted mine during our rebuild and have since sailed her about 11,000 miles. Would never go back to a wheel. There were a lot of naysayers about the conversion arguing my boat was too big to be sailed with a tiller and I would regret it. Not a word of it was true. So stick to your guns, take your time, plan carefully and you should have every bit the success I had.

Here is our project log. http://www.farreachvoyages.com/blank-40/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

cape dory did make it easy for the conversion. the emergency tiller connection comes right up to the cockpit on my boat and could easily be extended to a tiller.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I agree with gonesail, the top of the shaft as it comes from the factory seems perfectly set up for a tiller.
I recored the cockpit sole a few years back if you want some info:http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... it=cockpit
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

gonesail wrote:cape dory did make it easy for the conversion. the emergency tiller connection comes right up to the cockpit on my boat and could easily be extended to a tiller.
As someone who has done it, I don't want people who may consider converting a CD to a tiller to assume it's a walk in the park. So I personally would not use the word easy. I would say it's convenient Cape Dory carried the rudder post up close to the cockpit sole and put an emergency tiller opening there. But, you're going to need a coupling and a rudder post extension. And you need well made tiller head. Your going to need to fashion a cover plate. Your going to need to take precise measurement. You "may" have to drop the rudder and have the rudder post cut down a few inches and rekeyed if you want a really precise fit and not have to cut a hole in the aft face of the vertical foot well (depending on the CD model) to be able to slide the tiller head on the extension. But, it's not rocket science and it is certainly doable by a determined individual...but not exactly easy.

I don't mean to quibble I just don't want people to get mislead. Of course I guess it all depends on one's definition of easy....
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I didn't mean to make it sound easy, John. There are a lot of things to consider. It just looks like it's a promising start. And, I have not done it.
Jeff
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

jbenagh wrote:I didn't mean to make it sound easy, John. There are a lot of things to consider. It just looks like it's a promising start. And, I have not done it.
Jeff

Right. I have on occasion being accused of making things sound easier than some people say they are so I just wanted to mention it. I think a determined person with average skills (like me) can do very good work if they do their homework and take their time so I am all about encouraging others to repair, modify, refit or rebuild as their heart desires.

Sail on.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

John Stone wrote:I don't mean to quibble I just don't want people to get mislead. Of course I guess it all depends on one's definition of easy.
i see what you are saying John .. the devil is always in the details. my old boat had the emergency tiller coming up inside the rear locker where you had to kneel there to work the gizmo that hooked into the rudder post .. not an optimal solution. i guess i thought this design would make things a bit easier using some sort of coupler.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

We have done it also, made a short shaft to connect to the 1 inch rudder shaft. The Rig Right was an 1 1/8 so we used a coupling that connected the two. The bearing tube is fiberglass and the two bearing are PTFE. I did not see a need to cut off what is there. The tiller head is Rig Right. The shaft and bearings were made in a machine shop at work. She is tight, no play, no squeak. I would say the job was easy.
Wheel to Tiller.JPG
Tiller Bearing.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Tillers Rule!.jpg
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

ghockaday wrote:We have done it also, made a short shaft to connect to the 1 inch rudder shaft. The Rig Right was an 1 1/8 so we used a coupling that connected the two. The bearing tube is fiberglass and the two bearing are PTFE. I did not see a need to cut off what is there. The tiller head is Rig Right. The shaft and bearings were made in a machine shop at work. She is tight, no play, no squeak. I would say the job was easy.
Wheel to Tiller.JPG
Tiller Bearing.JPG
In the photo--Why the plywood cockpit sole? What's under it? Was this a solution for a removable sole for access to the engine? How have you treated the edge grain to prevent delamination?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I have relooked at some of the photos. Does the top of the rudder post emerge through the cockpit sole that far forward on all the CD 30s? If so that does simplify a conversion. The hard part on the 36 is the aft end of the foot well is close to the top of the rudder post.

Anyway, a worthy project if you plan it out.