Few questions on Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

solosail

Few questions on Typhoon

Post by solosail »

Hello,
Can someone confirm the size of the nuts and bolts for the deck mounting plate of the wooden motor mount ? and also for the rear mounted cleat (the one opposite to the motor mount)?
I think my tiller cap is missing a pin to lock it in place. Please see attached picture. Do you know where can I find this pin and the size needed?
Also what type of temporary marine sealant easy to remove do you recommend? I have some gaps on a few deck hardware that I'd like to fill to prevent water. I am planning on rebedding them soon so it's a temporary fix.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sloopjohnl

Re: Few questions on Typhoon

Post by sloopjohnl »

on my '76 weekender there was no pin but rather a bolt that locked the tiller cap onto the rudder shaft. hard to tell from here but it looks as tho the threaded hole for the bolt may be a bit worn.
can't help otherwise as i sold my boat two years ago.
solosail

Post by solosail »

Thanks. Yes the whole is not in good shape. Do you remember the size of the bolt?
Anyone else with a typhoon?
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Here's what mine looks like. The bolt is 1/4-20, 3/4" long. As you can see from the photo it probably doesn't need to be that long. 1/2" seems like it would be fine. Mine wasn't even threaded in particularly tightly, so I'm glad I poked at it!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the top of the rudder shaft looks like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
solosail

Post by solosail »

Ben Miller wrote:Here's what mine looks like. The bolt is 1/4-20, 3/4" long. As you can see from the photo it probably doesn't need to be that long. 1/2" seems like it would be fine. Mine wasn't even threaded in particularly tightly, so I'm glad I poked at it!

Thanks!!!
solosail

Post by solosail »

My aft deck cleat needs new hardware. The nuts are corroded and rust stains showing on the deck. No soft spots or cracks. However it's very hard to access since the trap is tiny and also I have some foam inside the rear deck. I can barely fit my arm but I could take a blurry picture. The backing plate appear to be made of wood! Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

A proper fix would most likely involve removing the cleat, backfilling the hole with epoxy to seal it, and then reinstalling the cleat with proper sealant and hardware. Not an easy job thanks to the lack of access.

I re-bedded my aft cleats a couple of years ago. A previous owner added a second cleat, but as far as I can tell the first is still in its original position. I was able to access them through either the quarter berths (a very tight squeeze) or a deck hatch (one of these) installed in the aft end of the cockpit, right behind the tiller.
solosail

Post by solosail »

Ben Miller wrote:A proper fix would most likely involve removing the cleat, backfilling the hole with epoxy to seal it, and then reinstalling the cleat with proper sealant and hardware. Not an easy job thanks to the lack of access.

I re-bedded my aft cleats a couple of years ago. A previous owner added a second cleat, but as far as I can tell the first is still in its original position. I was able to access them through either the quarter berths (a very tight squeeze) or a deck hatch (one of these) installed in the aft end of the cockpit, right behind the tiller.
The only access on a daysailer is the small hatch you mentioned behind the tiller. And the rear deck is filled with foam! Very tight space.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Ah, I missed that it was a daysailer. That does look challenging!
solosail

Post by solosail »

Ben Miller wrote:Here's what mine looks like. The bolt is 1/4-20, 3/4" long. As you can see from the photo it probably doesn't need to be that long. 1/2" seems like it would be fine. Mine wasn't even threaded in particularly tightly, so I'm glad I poked at it!

This bolt did not fit, too big. It looks like the hole is corroded from inside so I am not sure I can screw anything inside though.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

That hole does look pretty gnarly. Maybe it was never drilled/tapped for the bolt? That would make me wonder what purpose the bolt serves, which was why I was curious what the top of the rudder shaft looks like. I'm somewhat tempted to try knocking mine off to give it a look, but I'm more tempted to not create any new projects for myself so I can get launched this weekend.
solosail

Post by solosail »

Ben Miller wrote:That hole does look pretty gnarly. Maybe it was never drilled/tapped for the bolt? That would make me wonder what purpose the bolt serves, which was why I was curious what the top of the rudder shaft looks like. I'm somewhat tempted to try knocking mine off to give it a look, but I'm more tempted to not create any new projects for myself so I can get launched this weekend.
I don't really know but there must have been a bolt to secure the fitting. Perhaps smaller than yours even though it seems to be the same part, yours being in better shape. I think the shaft has an insert where the bolt screw in to keep tight. I'll see how it handles when sailing but it does not seem to be an issue as it is. we'll see. I might have to try a different bolt but really I am not sure anything would screw in that hole.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

that bolt snubs the tiller fitting to the shaft. If it is secured properly you have to remove it to remove the fitting. if the bolt is not tightened down the fitting will spin/move on the shaft unless things are corroded enough between the inside of the fitting and the rudder shaft.
if you have the bolt out, a third hand holding onto the rudder blade and the fitting does not move on the rudder shaft and the rudder blade tries to move when you turn the tiller i would bet the fitting and rudder shaft are somehow seized. if you ever want to remove the fitting from the shaft to say remove the teak piece covering the shaft opening you will have to break the fitting loose from the shaft. At that time you will see what you got and maybe will have to drill and tap the hole to fit a new stainless bolt of the needed size.
SabreCapt

Post by SabreCapt »

I am looking at a Typhoon for sale that has been restored. What questions should I be asking the seller? I want to make a wise decision.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

look past the cosmetics and check for structural integrity such as the cockpit drains(my Typhoon almost sank upon launch), soft spots on deck, mast step (mine is sinking), cockpit and cabin floor.