Non skid prep - best way to sand?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Typhoon4Fun

Non skid prep - best way to sand?

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Weather is looking pretty good for an attempt to redo our non-skid before we launch this spring. A portion was redone recently with some repairs to the coach roof using Interdeck, so I'd like to match that.

Seems straightforward enough, but I am wondering if others have any tips/tricks for sanding right up to where the existing non-skid meets the gelcoat? So far I've thought of carefully sanding along the edges with a fein tool and using the orbital for large interior areas; taping twice, before and after sanding, perhaps 1/16" into the gelcoat; using a piece of wood as a jig to get a consistent offset from the toe rail. Any ideas?
Typhoon4Fun

Re: Non skid prep - best way to sand?

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Following up with what I learned/did in case it proves helpful to others.

On the advice of a trusted friend, I did not tape before sanding. I was able to carefully sand up the edge by hand with 120 grit on a sanding block. The non-skid is raised up enough above the gelcoat that if one is careful, you can sand along the edge with some small overlap without scoring the gelcoat.

Then I follow up with the random orbital. The existing material was well-adhered so i didn't worry about stripping it entirely:

I was able to sand, vacuum, solvent-wash, and paint the first coat on Saturday. Followed up with the second coat Sunday.

Almost ready!
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Nice work. Thanks for posting.
This is a project that I need to do and you made it look doable in just two days.
I may tackle this next Spring.

What paint did you use? I like the gray color.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

keneasley wrote:Nice work. Thanks for posting.
This is a project that I need to do and you made it look doable in just two days.
I may tackle this next Spring.

What paint did you use? I like the gray color.
Thank you! I was pretty pleased with the result. I will say I was only able to get it done in two days because I had near-perfect weather, the coach roof had already been done recently, and I only did the cockpit sole. Cockpit benches will have to wait. I didn't see a good way to move about the boat with the side decks, cockpit benches, and sole all freshly painted. Skipping the benches saved a lot of time sanding and taping.

I used Interlux Interdeck in sand beige and found it very easy to work with. It's the same as what was put on the coach roof two years ago and I've been happy with it, seems to be holding up fine.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Good job!
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

John Stone wrote:Good job!
Thank you!!