CD10 on Davits?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ptuiterwyk

CD10 on Davits?

Post by ptuiterwyk »

Hello all,

I am a new member and now (somehow) the very recent owner of a 1988 CD36 (#154) and CD10 (#1097).
The CD36 has dinghy davits by Atkins & Hoyle. I am hoping to be able to use the CD10 as a tender.
I am wondering if anyone has ever used a CD10 as a tender and if/how they secured the CD10 to their davits (and whether that required special modifications, if any).

Many thanks in advance,
Patrick
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD10 on Davits?

Post by John Stone »

Patrick, congrats on gaining ownership of your CD 36. Hull 154 must have been one of the last built? What is her name and hailing port.

To answer your questions I have a 9' Fatty Knees which has served as my tender for many years. Personally, I would not carry a dinghy that size in davits on a boat much under 50'. Not that it can't be done but it will put a lot of weight on the stern of your boat affecting her helm balance and sailing ability. Additionally unless the davits are very robustly built and exceptionally well mounted may not be up to carrying that kind of weight. Finally, a dinghy that size hanging 'thwartship on the stern of a 36' boa will look unnatural.

I have no experience with a CD 10 but by all accounts they are a capable craft. I'm sure others will have experience with the CD 10 and comment accordingly.

John
ptuiterwyk

Post by ptuiterwyk »

Thanks, John.

My understanding is that a CD10 weighs about 150lbs, which I believe is relatively close in weight to many 9'6" inflatables. My concerns was less with weight but more with the length (and whether anyone had ever tried to put one on davits). I'm in a tough spot in that I have a gaggle of young boys (under 10yrs old), so I am finding it difficult to find a jack of all trades dinghy that is going to work well for all of my needs/wants. In any event, the CD10 was never in my plans, but just popped up on Craigslist for very little money, leaving me little choice but to buy it.

Best,
Patrick
Hingham, Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I understand. Dinghy/tenders can be a real conundrum.

I offer this not to be argumentative but to offer additional perspective and a possible solution to consider. CDs sometimes get an unfair rap for being slow which is not true if we honor their strengths and weaknesses. They were not designed or built for todays go fast got-to-have-it-all lifestyle. I'm not suggesting you think that but those kinds of solutions are what we see most often and what's mostly available. When we weigh these boats down on the bow or stern it can have dramatic effect on their sailing manners and performance.

I've posted three pictures below. I see this kind of approach all the time. Totally overloaded. No boat but a tug can perform well loaded down like that. The other is just the opposite and is how I carry my 9' dinghy. Probably won't work for you because it requires some significant mods. But the last photo is a Pacific Seacraft 37. I met this couple in the Virgin Islands a couple years ago. They have sailed all over the world. They use an 11' nesting dinghy. They row it and motor it. Can be had with a sailing rig too. It's a stitch and glue from Chesapeake Light Craft I think. Nested, it will fit between the mast and traveler on your boat. Perhaps it is an option to consider.

Building it could be a lot of fun and rowing and sailing it would be a great learning experience for your boys. Hauling it aboard and launching it could be a responsibility they grow into. Just some ideas.

I don't know your situation so none of this may be useful to you. Just an idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ptuiterwyk

Post by ptuiterwyk »

Thanks John!

Not argumentative at all! I appreciate other's perspectives (especially where I am lost).
I am familiar with those nesting dinghy's from Chesapeake Light Craft (I am fond of the PT 11 Nesting Dinghy in particular), and it is on the "to do" list (though likely far beyond my current woodworking skills). I first saw it on a YouTube Channel that I highly recommend: Sampson Boat Co. https://www.youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo

Best,
Patrick
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi Patrick - I've had our CD33 since 2005, and I've also had a CD10 (a later one in the 1700's) for most of those years. I had always intended to tow our CD10 around the Chesapeake Bay, but never did. We carry an inflatable with an electric pump on board. Anyway, I can't imagine carrying a CD10 on davits for all the reasons that John mentions, plus I would not want the dinghy sticking out so far on both sides while maneuvering in close quarters. I loved sailing our CD10 and it's great with kids, but sold it about a year ago just because I wasn't using it as much as I expected, plus I needed a new inflatable! I suggest getting a nice set of oars for your CD10 - I had a set of Shaw & Tenney spoon oars, as it's also a wonderful rowing dinghy.
Jim Evans
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The CD-10 does row very well with a proper set of oars. Even with 7' oars I found that I had to add risers to the oar locks to keep from rubbing the gunnels. I always row from the center seat when solo. Row from the forward station with a passenger in the stern.

The CD-10 tows extremely well when inshore. One word of caution is that you either keep the centerboard in or make a plug for the slot. If you try to tow the boat with that slot open, it will fill with water. Otherwise it stays very dry in pretty much any conditions.