Cockpit Coaming Rebuild

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Cockpit Coaming Rebuild

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:Maybe butyl in the groove? I use Boat Life teak colored polysulfide for the deck to coaming joint.
Agree. I have the butyl.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Third coat of varnish on outboard surface. Plan to leave inboard surface at 2 coats until install complete because I still need to install the plugs over the bolt holes. Then complete varnishing. Total of 8 coats both sides.
Attachments
IMG_1236.jpeg
IMG_1236.jpeg (461.5 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Attached the bronze return plates. They still need to be bedded. Might be able to install the coamings Saturday.
Attachments
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg (391.49 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I thought about replacing the cleats on the coamings (back-up for the self trailers) with bronze ones. $125 each. I thought the irko ones pretty good after all. The way I secured them before was with small bronze plates I inset on the inboard side. The fasteners went through the plates, through the coamings and into the wood cleats on the outboard side of the coamings. It was an imperfect solution. But it worked for 8 years.

Because I take the cleats off when I sand and varnish the coamings I wanted a better system. It's not good to keep installing and removing screws in wood. Eventually you bore out the hole.

So I drilled 1/4" holes down through the cleats. I positioned them and used an awl to mark the centers in the coamings. Then, I used a 3/8" and 1/2" fostner bit to drill down about 3/8" inch deep. I added a small amount of gflex epoxy to the bottom of the hole and set bronze nut there I had filed in to create tooth marks for the epoxy to grip. I positioned them with fasteners wiped with paste wax and run through the center of the cleats. When they cured I removed the cleats and reinstalled the fasteners and covered the firmly positioned nuts with epoxy. When the epoxy cured I removed the bolts. The nuts were in there very tight. I used a chisel to trim the epoxy.

I then counter sunk the cleats and installed them with oval head 1/4-20 bronze machine screws.

No there is no backing plate. But these are not heavy duty cleats. These are for sheets coming off winches if needed. Everything is in sheer. I have always liked the look of bare wood contrasted with varnished would.

Onward.
Attachments
IMG_1263.jpeg
IMG_1263.jpeg (533.62 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_1280.jpeg
IMG_1280.jpeg (400.78 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Thanks for sharing that idea for setting the nuts in with epoxy and waxed fasteners.
Something that I'm sure I'll be using as I redo woodwork on Felicity.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I’ve had lots if spare time so I removed the coamings to strip, varnish and rebed. Ive been wanting to rebed them since i got the boat. Calking on the outside worked for a while and but I wanted it better. It was very easy I replaced the screws with bolts. I also made caps from African mahogany. I just rounded the aft end for now and haven’t finished the other where it attaches to the cabin.I thought the caps was a really good idea. I need to figure out how to mount the side mount cleats and I have to set the screws and bungs still but Im not sure if I should use glue for cap. Also Igad to add a strip if wood where the dodger snaps but you cant see it
Attachments
F8E8AC9B-1C8F-447A-AEFA-E43527ED4BDD.jpeg
F8E8AC9B-1C8F-447A-AEFA-E43527ED4BDD.jpeg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 1307 times
0FD5B3BF-3856-4045-B975-94FAA0A0DFC4.jpeg
0FD5B3BF-3856-4045-B975-94FAA0A0DFC4.jpeg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 1307 times
92BEA80E-B54D-4131-A291-3B6BDECAED5E.jpeg
92BEA80E-B54D-4131-A291-3B6BDECAED5E.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 1307 times
Last edited by JD-MDR on Apr 30th, '23, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

keneasley wrote:Thanks for sharing that idea for setting the nuts in with epoxy and waxed fasteners.
Something that I'm sure I'll be using as I redo woodwork on Felicity.
Ken, Glad to hear it's helpful. I do wonder sometimes if anyone reads this stuff. :roll:
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:I’ve had lots if spare time so I removed the combings to strip, varnish and rebed. Ive been wanting to rebed them since i got the boat. Calking on the outside worked for a while and but I wanted it better. It was very easy I replaced the screws with bolts. I also made caps from African mahogany. I just rounded the aft end for now and haven’t finished the other where it attaches to the cabin.I thought the caps was a really good idea. I need to figure out how to mount the side mount cleats and I have to set the screws and bungs still but Im not sure if I should use glue for cap. Also Igad to add a strip if wood where the dodger snaps but you cant see it

Good job JD. I did not glue the caps. I bedded them with polysulfide so I can remove them if necessary. Fastener every 10" or so. But you certainly could glue them if you clamp them.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks John. I have surgery on Wednesday. When I recover. I’ll finish and make corrections. Ny Dads funeral was last week. Ut was nice. So many relatives were there
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:Thanks John. I have surgery on Wednesday. When I recover. I’ll finish and make corrections. Ny Dads funeral was last week. Ut was nice. So many relatives were there
I am very sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll contact you separately.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Installed the coamings, winch bases, and winches a couple days ago. Installed the wood plugs today.

Used a strip of butyl for the coaming and a bead of mahogany colored polysulfide. Teak brown polysulfide and butyl donuts for winch bolts.

Modifying bare teak cap rails now.
Attachments
IMG_1298.jpeg
IMG_1298.jpeg (419.9 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
IMG_1300.jpeg
IMG_1300.jpeg (330.66 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg (282.17 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice! Big job nearly done…Far Reach deserves nothing less.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I trimmed the plugs today. Taped off the coamings. Sanded them. Applied some varnish to the plugs thinned 50 percent. Tomorrow I'll lay on the first coat since the were installed so coat number 4.

Need to get started on the teak caps.
Attachments
IMG_1437.jpeg
IMG_1437.jpeg (226.82 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
IMG_1430.jpeg
IMG_1430.jpeg (244.96 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

After trimming and sanding the plugs flat I applied varnish thinned 50'percent to the plugs yesterday. Today, I applied first coat over the entire coaming/winch pads since we installed them. Fourth coat of varnish total. I need at least 7 coats for minimal protection. But since I'm not launching till the fall will probably apply two more in Sept/Oct.
Attachments
IMG_1449.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg (286.46 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
IMG_1445.jpeg
IMG_1445.jpeg (314.98 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

While I am sanding and varnishing I started the work to modify the bare teak cap that fastens to the top edge of the coaming to include the return block. The return block ties the coaming to the the aft end of the cabin top.

The little 90° teak elbow (see photo below) at the forward end of the coaming covers the top of the return block. It is not long enough to reach the cabin top for the new coaming. It's short by about 1/2". So, I will cut the elbow off and then mill a new elbow with scrap Burmese teak. This time I will half-lap the joint and once again use Aerodux 185 resorcinol as the adhesive.

Take a look at the photo below. Notice how tight the elbow joint is after 7 years of exposure to the elements without any protective coat of varnish or paint. The heat of the tropic beating right down on the glue line and it's still as tight as the day it was made. That's one of the advantages of resorcinol. Truly water proof, boil proof, steam proof.

I hope the new joint holds up as well as the old one. I have high expectations since there will be more glueing surface with the half-lap joint than the simpler joint I used previously.
Attachments
Port side teak cap which covers the top edge of the coaming.
Port side teak cap which covers the top edge of the coaming.
IMG_1451.jpeg (485.39 KiB) Viewed 1266 times