Bomar Hatches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

RichardM

Re: Bomar Hatches

Post by RichardM »

Hatch was fairly easy to remove. First take out the screws and then pry under the hatch with a thin putty knife. Also, an oscillating multi-tool with a flat scrapping blade may be useful. Once you have removed the old sealant, oversize drill out the screw holes and fill with thickened epoxy. Then drill new screw holes, use sealant at base of installed hatch and screw down to deck. New gasket is available from Bomar and McMaster Carr and install with contact cement and crazy glue at flush ends. All the hardware for knobs and hold open are available from multiple sources.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Bomar Hatches

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You can purchase Bomar replacement lenses directly from Bomar Pompanette:

https://pompanette.com/product-category ... ch-lenses/

Steve Laume wrote:Thanks for the bedding material advice.

I thought, finding the Lexan would be pretty easy. I did some searching and couldn't seem to find a bronze or smoked Leaxn for the lenses. I also don't want to buy a huge sheet but could easily cut the stuff to size.

Does anybody have any current sources for the material in smaller sheets?

I figure I might as well replace the lenses while I have things apart.

Thank you, Steve.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay