Adding hinged mast base to Ty Sr..?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Alan Stewart

Adding hinged mast base to Ty Sr..?

Post by Alan Stewart »

After experiencing a near-nightmare while manually unstepping the mast at float in stiff breeze during purchase in FL (no option at the time…), I’m thinking of adding a hinged baseplate to allow more control during raising & lowering mast (on trailer..?). Or should I simply plan on doing it post-launch next to a high wharf(?), which still seems dicey… What about using 2”x 4”s as tripod legs secured to stanchion bases?
I designed a telescoping aluminum mast-raising stand/support for Typhoons that allows use of trailer winch to raise/lower mast before/after launch - not sure how well it might work with the larger mast on the Ty. Sr., but a hinged base would be mandatory since the Typhoon tabernacle acts like a hinge while the Ty. Sr. only has a solid base that the mast comes down on vertically (hence the inherent difficulty lifting it on/off manually w/o hoist!)
Once again, any suggestions/recommendations appreciated! Thanks!
Brimag

Re: Adding hinged mast base to Ty Sr..?

Post by Brimag »

Hello I have a hinged mast step/Tabernacle setup.
. Found a picture of very similar one. We used a custom aluminum Aframe which came with boat. We step on the hard before launch. I have 2 sons to help lift up to deck and it just needs to rest on stern rail. I was surprised how much heavier it was than the typhoon 19. Also my trailer has a tall winch. There are some old posts with pictures on this website, just have to search. We love this controlled system. 3 of us do it but you can do it with 2 if you had to. Brian TY Senior Annie M Narragansett bay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thanks Brian. That’s exactly what I’m looking for and it appears to be quite beefy and solid. Reading thru the CD Owners Manual I was surprised to learn that basically all of the CDs (except very early ones), have cabin-stepped masts… (I briefly owned a CD26’ way back in the late ‘80s but had forgotten that it too was not keel stepped.) I’d love a little more info about your aluminum mast raising props - I’d definitely prefer those to heavy 2”x 4”s. Can you provide the dimensions for those? I’m thinking I might be able to use a pair of 1-1/2”x 14’ Sunfish booms which ought to be adequate just as steadying braces while the winch line & fwd roller take the actual load.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

2 inch aluminum tubing 105 in long. Can use any type of end caps. At top end connect any way you want but need double shackle setup for hoist/ halyard connection. Hook one end to trailer winch and other to jib or main halyard facing fwd. Stand up frame and cleat off halyard and snug up winch line. Crank up trailer winch with someone guiding mast up and keeping straight. (Shrouds cannot be connected) once up install second pin at step, hook up rigging.Thats just what we do there's a dozen different ways and setup (tied up to fwd stanchions) Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thanks so much!! I’ll follow your recommendations!