Annoying vibration from Tohatsu l/s 6hp..?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Alan Stewart

Annoying vibration from Tohatsu l/s 6hp..?

Post by Alan Stewart »

The Ty Sr I just purchased came with a 2 yr. old Tohatsu 6hp w/26”+ shaft mounted in the outboard well at the rear of the cockpit - for some reason that I’ve yet to figure out, this engine generates a vibration that causes the seat locker lids and other things to rattle excessively regardless of throttle position (mostly anyway). I’ve not experienced this type of vibration with other 4 strokes (2.5,8,9.9 or 15hp Yamahas or 2.3,8 or 15hp Hondas), used on sailboats or RIBs…
The prop is perfect and the engine starts & runs smoothly (except for this artifact that is), so I’m puzzled as to what might be the cause… The boat is presently on a trailer in S.C. and I’m only able to run test it “in situ” until dragging it up to Maine later this Spring or early Summer. Anyone have any input or similar experiences with these outboards? My only “in-water” trial was picking up the boat in FL and motoring across St. Augustine Harbor (1 hr.+), to the public boat ramp for haul out. Thanks all!
keneasley

Re: Annoying vibration from Tohatsu l/s 6hp..?

Post by keneasley »

Have you tried an Outboard Motor Rubber Transom pad?
I had one on my Tohatsu 6hp longshaft SailPro.
It may help a bit with vibration.
It certainly helped to more securely hold the engine.
The engine was a bit loud and had some vibration due to it being a one cylinder.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

try vibration pads from Grainger..part # 4C973...they helped on my outbd...
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll definitely order those. :)
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Alan Stewart wrote:The Ty Sr I just purchased came with a 2 yr. old Tohatsu 6hp w/26”+ shaft mounted in the outboard well at the rear of the cockpit - for some reason that I’ve yet to figure out, this engine generates a vibration that causes the seat locker lids and other things to rattle excessively regardless of throttle position (mostly anyway). I’ve not experienced this type of vibration with other 4 strokes (2.5,8,9.9 or 15hp Yamahas or 2.3,8 or 15hp Hondas), used on sailboats or RIBs…
The prop is perfect and the engine starts & runs smoothly (except for this artifact that is), so I’m puzzled as to what might be the cause… The boat is presently on a trailer in S.C. and I’m only able to run test it “in situ” until dragging it up to Maine later this Spring or early Summer. Anyone have any input or similar experiences with these outboards? My only “in-water” trial was picking up the boat in FL and motoring across St. Augustine Harbor (1 hr.+), to the public boat ramp for haul out. Thanks all!

I think a lot of boats do this when the frequency waves are just so. When I powered our 17,000lb CD 36 with a 9.9 Honda four stroke we got intense vibration on the stove top over a wide range of throttle settings. Some gaskets for your locker lids will probably help as perhaps the suggestion of the engine pad.

Let us know how that pad helps and share a link to it as well. Might be a good fix for auxiliary outboard powered boats.