torqueedo shaft length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

radsailor

torqueedo shaft length

Post by radsailor »

For a Typhoon, should I get the short shaft or long shaft model.
From the specs the short shaft is longer than the mercury long shaft, but I may be reading it wrong
fcnljr

Re: torqueedo shaft length

Post by fcnljr »

Unless I am making the same math mistake, you are correct--the short shaft of the Torqueedo 1103CS is 62.5 cm and the Merc 2.5 long is 51...wonder if they are measuring these the same way? I don't have a Ty but am considering a Torqueedo for a Ty Senior or 25 with an outboard well. Anyone have experience with this?
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I went ahead and purchased the short shaft Torqeedo yesterday and tried it out today.(The only motor in stock had a short shaft.) In the store it looked the same length as a short shaft mercury.
Very very sweet. Whisper quiet and the entire rig isn't vibrating.
The short shaft is long enough. It was a very windy day ~ 20+knots so I did not sail, but took the boat for a short trip to see how it did against the strong breeze. No problem.
Last edited by radsailor on Feb 24th, '21, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

I got one of the Torqeedos for our dinghy. It is the coolest way to propel oneself I must say.

Plenty of guts to get the boat going and no smelly exhaust, gasoline to store or oil to mix. It lives nicely in the quarter berth on its side when not in use and charges up from the batteries/solar/alternator/shore power.
I love the GPS letting you know how far you can go at any particular power use. Also love the quiet. We snuck up on beavers and water fowl. Even a bear on shore took awhile to notice us before he took off in alarm.

It would have been a tremendous engine for my old Typhoon. I would never go back to gasoline outboards after the Torgeedo. It is the future. Get the 915 watt battery. Well worth the cost.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

My neighbor has a 26ft Shamrock motorboat with a huge gasoline V-8. He also has Torqueedo and we found that could easily move the Shamrock. Ok, not as fast as the V-8, but still maneuverable!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

The model I bought was the Travel 1103CS and the 915 Wh battery is standard.
fcnljr

Post by fcnljr »

I'm looking at a Ty in good shape that comes with a 3 yr old Honda 2.3, though seller would consider selling without OB. Weight of Honda is 31#, compared to 38# for the Torqueedo, though the components of the latter are 25 # (OB) and 13 # (battery) respectively. So, Torqueedo slightly heavier, but I think easier to mount on OB bracket because you can put it on and take it off in pieces. I am not getting any younger. Any observations/updates on how the Torqueedo is performing for your Ty?
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

My torqueedo travel with 912 w battery performs very well. Just for safety sake, I purchased a spare battery, but have not needed it yet.
I am the envy of my marina. Quiet, clean, plenty of power for my Typhoon Weekender.
I take the batteries home to charge as it is very hot and humid where I am which is not good for storing or charging the batteries according to manufacturer.

Will never go back to gasoline if I can help it.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

My torqueedo travel with 912 w battery performs very well. Just for safety sake, I purchased a spare battery, but have not needed it yet.
I am the envy of my marina. Quiet, clean, plenty of power for my Typhoon Weekender.
I take the batteries home to charge as it is very hot and humid where I am which is not good for storing or charging the batteries according to manufacturer.

Will never go back to gasoline if I can help it.
fcnljr

Post by fcnljr »

Thanks, radsailor. I've decided to go ahead with the Torqueedo. Does the OB bracket give enough clearance so you can tilt the engine up while you are under sail?
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

No problem tilting the Torqeedo up while sailing.
Enjoy !
tc53

Post by tc53 »

Hi. I'm a new Typhoon Weekender owner interested in swapping out our current gas 4 stroke for a Torqueedo electric motor. Radsailor, you said you got model 1103 CS for your boat. Does the short shaft work okay for the typhoon? I'd assumed, because our current gas motor is long shaft, that I'd need a long shaft Torqueedo. Also, I'm wondering if the less expensive 602, rated for "dinghies and daysailers up to 1T" might be enough for a Weekender? What do you think?
kenlury001

Post by kenlury001 »

I bought the short shaft because that was "in stock". I cut a little bit out of the wood mount so it would sit lower.
If a long shaft is available, it would be better.