CD 28 The Build to Blue... water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Socalbred

CD 28 The Build to Blue... water

Post by Socalbred »

Hello CD Forum!

Continued from my last post - I have my Cape Dory 28 on the hard in New Bern North Carolina. I'm cleaning everything inside. I've cleaned and painted the chain locker. Cleaned and laundered all of the cushions. I have wiped down every surface with bleach and scrubbed everything. The results have been amazing.

I have pulled both 30 gallon fresh tanks and will be cleaning them. I am using a Camco RV tank cleaner/wand to clean the insides of the tanks. The wand will be delivered tomorrow, so I am excited to start that project.

Things have been pretty smooth sailing but after I clean the tanks, I'm going to do the hoses and that is a big fear. If anyone has replaced the hoses to their water tanks, feel free to chime in! I don't know where they go other than they run back to the sink in the galley. As for replacement hose, I'm just going to use RV water tank hose. Unless anyone has any affordable alternatives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: CD 28 The Build to Blue... water

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very nice. Cleaning up beautifully. I have my original tanks and water hoses. When I purchased my boat it had been on the hard for two years and unused for three. I used a couple cups of Clorox in each tank and filled them with water. I let them sit for a week then emptied them. I removed the access hatch and used a regular nozzle on a water hose to attack the little which survived the Clorox treatment. Emptied them again then used the Clorox treatment at half strength a couple more times before I was confident everything was clean. Haven’t had any issues since. All I add is a few drops of Clorox during the season now.
If I were to replace the hoses I would go with PEX, although I see no need to do so anytime soon.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Socalbred

Post by Socalbred »

Great tip Mr. Walsh. I'm not afraid of bleaching the tanks. However, I am worried about the taste. Additionally, there is quite a bit of sediment in the tanks. That sediment has dried and (am guessing) going to take some sort of pressure to knock off. I'll follow up on how the RV tank sprayer device works out.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I'd be interested too how the tank sprayer device worked. Some years ago, I removed a tank and put beach sand
and half a bottle of detergent into the tank, sealed it up and swished it around for a while. It cleaned the tank very
well.
On the hoses, I used PEX on two of my water tanks and I am not a fan. It's economical and the connections are
easy but the stuff is too stiff for boat work, in my opinion. It's great for relatively straight runs but not for the
relatively tight corners in a boat. I like hoses better. Good luck - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I recently replaced all the water lines in my CD28. Remove the plywood from above the water tanks and you'll have access to remove the tanks and get at the hoses. You'll be able to see where they go with a bit of effort. It wasn't a particularly difficult task.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I got rid of the fill hoses for my water tanks and now fill them through the inspection ports in the top of each tank. Much easier to be sure how much is in each tank, one less place for crud to live and less opportunity for leaks.

Notice the rectangular cut outs in the liner, at the sides of the V berth. I added another one on each side and then made, corresponding, but neater ones in the plywood with covers like those over the main water tanks under the settees. This gives you a lot of stowage and better access to the hull. I keep five watertight containers of spare parts under each side. Things you don't need to get at, every day but want to keep onboard.

Since you will have all the plywood covers off of the tanks, paint both sides. The raw wood on the underside is the perfect place for mold to grow and odors to be absorbed. Fresh paint looks much better than the old Cape Dory pinkish color.

I also made a couple of more cut outs in the plywood under the settees to access the area under the front and rear of the tanks. This doesn't add much stowage space but it does allow you to see all the connections at the ends of the tanks.

One of the best things I did for water quality was to add a household, under sink, water filter with a charcoal element. This I still run a screen filter, before the pressure pump but all the fresh water goes through the charcoal filter before use. This will remove all tastes from the water, including chlorine. It makes the tank water, perfectly acceptable for drinking or coffee.

I have no personal advice on hoses as Raven now has three different types with different fittings and also needs complete rip out and replacement. I plan to use Pex as my latest modifications have been made with it. Crimping up fittings is cheap and easy. Having a supply of Shark Bite fittings in a spare parts bin would make repairs very easy.

Best of luck with everything. I wish Raven looked that clean, Steve.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Boat looks very nice.

When I replaced the hoses on my water tank I used 1/2 inch inside diameter clear reinforced pvc hose similar to this from Defender -

https://defender.com/en_us/trident-165- ... water-hose

Easy to work with. I used a heat gun to heat up the end of the hose for easy removal and installation.

I second the comment about getting rid of the deck fill for the water tank and filling the tank from the inspection port. I capped off the fitting at the tank for the deck fill using a 1.5 inch screw-in plug similar to this:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/a-m-ind ... lug/tp4024
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you do decide to remove the deck fill hose, make sure to cap it off at the deck fill as well as the tank. Murphy's law dictates that someone is going to put a hose in that fill and wonder why the tanks don't seem to be getting full.

I added a short, plugged hose to my deck fill when I first eliminated the hose. Since then, I removed the fill and glassed over the hole. I did leave the section of hose, that ran under the ice box. I figured that this would make an excellent wire chase or pathway for water lines.

The only time I regret not having a deck fill is when I have to move a ton of stuff off of the settee to fill a tank, Steve.
Socalbred

Post by Socalbred »

Okay UPDATE:

Camco tank cleaner was a bust... Kind of. The device works well and without issue. The pressure was good. For 25 bucks and a 2 day delivery from Amazon, I think it can use it for something other than the tanks... eventually.

The tanks didn't have much silt as I thought. They were stained. There was mold, but it was spotty. The brass spinner on the Camco chewed up the inside of the tank pretty good. 40 year old plastic and it could've really done some unrepairable damage.

I've got the tanks soaking in bleach and there has been a great improvement on the color.

I removed the sink in the galley to gain access to all of the water hoses and shed more light into the engine compartment. I really dont want to hook up pressure water but, I might. As a solo sailor I'm content with a foot pump for the sink. I have already removed the sink by the VBerth. Twin sinks in a 28 foot boat is a bit redundant to me.

Hoses are going to be an absolute nightmare. Really not looking forward to it.

I did paint the covers to the tanks as well. Pics incoming!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Socalbred

Post by Socalbred »

YouTube video is up! Have a look at the progress.

https://youtu.be/ZZrWt2br1DA
Socalbred

Post by Socalbred »

If there is anyone in the New Bern, NC that is willing to come help out with boat projects please feel free to inquire. I know nothing about boat's and am simply winging it! So if you're in the area and can lend a hand checking systems or simply just want to hang in the boat yard, please reach out.

John
760-912-4287