Defender’s Warehouse update

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Defender’s Warehouse update

Post by John Stone »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Okay, I give up. What is an LCOL area?

Low cost of living.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I surmise they will stay in Waterford for the time being as they have invested heavily in refurbishing the existing building, which is currently underway, and will not reopen some form of retail space until March. Their new website is active but there are still some issues to resolve. Yesterday everything was on back order and could not be placed into a shopping cart. Today I had to fill the shipping address information in twice before it was successful. I would advise anyone wishing to place an order to wait a couple more days so they can work through their site issues.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
Carl Thunberg wrote:Okay, I give up. What is an LCOL area?
I think he meant local.
I assumed LCOL stood for: Low Cost Of Living
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

yup LCOL is Low Cost of Living area vs HCOL...;)

i don't trust PE firms, they're in the game to squeeze profits to the extreme. i've experienced several PE acquisitions, not fun.

but hopeful they stay in CT.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Just ordered some varnish. Price was good. Painful using the website. They did not charge me a hazmat fee though like JD has in the past. Interesting to see how it goes.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

John Stone wrote:Just ordered some varnish. Price was good. Painful using the website. They did not charge me a hazmat fee though like JD has in the past. Interesting to see how it goes.
I don’t like their new web site at all.

- Cathy
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
John Stone wrote:Just ordered some varnish. Price was good. Painful using the website. They did not charge me a hazmat fee though like JD has in the past. Interesting to see how it goes.
I don’t like their new web site at all.

- Cathy
You’re not alone. The old site had much more pertinent information, such as dimensions and weight. They are thinning their selections also…less to choose from. The insides of the building are nowhere near completion so the reopening of their downsized store will be delayed. Their pricing is still very competitive…so far. I ordered a few things this year and the delivery times are a week minimum, ten days to get a cut line, a halyard, on which I spliced my own eye.
My advice, if you know you need something for spring fitting-out, order it now.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well it's going to be a mess probably for a while. But that's good advice to order now. On a brighter note, I ordered three quarts of Epifanes varnish Sunday and I received an email yesterday saying it shipped. So that's promising. However, if it shows up and it's the wrong varnish I take it all back...
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

I purchased my new Groco thru-hulls, flanges, and valves from Defender in January.
Very good prices and fast delivery.

I needed a few more things.

Ordered Monday (Feb 27) afternoon and received Tuesday (Feb 28) afternoon.
I do however live just 60 miles West of Defender.

Agree that the old web-site was better.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I just ordered a couple gallons of antifouling paint. They are for store pickup…it’ll be interesting to see if they’ve upped their delivery game from a month ago.
Just for comparison I’m paying $304.97 a gallon at Defender and the same item at West Marine is $387.99. If they hold the line on pricing I’ll be happy to put up with an inferior web site and sketchy fulfillment.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I have never liked west marine. So over priced. But, in the last couple years at WM near us they price match. They didn't used to do that. I don't know if that's a local store thing or something they do nationwide. There is no advertisement for it. I had to ask.
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

West Marine, at least the last time I tried which was last summer, still has a price match, I think within 50 miles. West Marine in Rhode Island matches the Defender price, so in effect, if you live in RI, you can get Defender prices, no shipping, and no wait. Of course, you'll probably spend way too much money when you go to pick your item up on other overpriced stuff you probably really don't need! :)
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Worst Marine will often price match. I've started using West now as it seems some of the Defender pricing on some electrical items were basically the same as WM.

The new site is along the lines of the other motorsport company they own in Canada. It will be less about information and more about "fun videos" and experience.

Im hopeful they stay in Connecticut but doubtful in the long run.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Since February they have updated their web site and they are now providing more detailed information for the products. That in itself is a major improvement and more like the way it used to be. Thank goodness.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

This is what West told me last time I asked to price match. It has to be a local store. Within 50 miles. Their policy now states this.

Price Match Guarantee
If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.

We will price match:

Local Stores within 50 miles
Amazon, direct from Amazon only
Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges
Retail prices for wholesale Customers
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30