Outboard Supplier

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cas1543

Outboard Supplier

Post by cas1543 »

Wondering if anyone has experience with this website - https://outboardboatmotorsale.com/

Seems a little sketchy to me for some reason although it could be just fine. Looking for a suitable outboard for my CD25 and these guys have the older model Tohatsu Sail Pro (C model without handles vs. D model with handles) which I'm told fits the outboard well much better than the new model.

Also, I know it's been asked many times but suppose its worth asking once more - I'd love a list of gas outboards that i could buy new which would fit my CD25 outboard well and still allow for the outboard to pivot. Probably some legwork I could do to sort that out but if folks have that knowledge on hand I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks!
Jim Walsh

Re: Outboard Supplier

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have no experience with them but I would be wary of purchasing anything from an internet source on the other side of the planet for a product readily available from numerous local sources. I’d be asking myself “what could possibly go wrong and what agencies are empowered to redress any issues”.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

About 5 years ago I bought a 6 hp Tohatsu SailPro from OnLine Outboards for about $1,700
Their current price is closer to $1,900.
https://onlineoutboards.com/collections ... -outboards
I had good service from that supplier. Fast delivery and the motor arrives in good condition.

The supplier you reference has the older model for closer to $1,200.
And they appear to have the older model - same model # as the one I bought 5 years ago.

Not sure if I'd take the chance on buying an outboard from Signapore.

Where are you located?

I could see if the person I sold the Tohatsu to wants to sell it.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
cas1543

Post by cas1543 »

I agree - internet suppliers, especially one I’ve never heard of selling old stock are likely best avoided for a purchase that big. Think I just needed some additional voices of reason in my ear.

Appreciate the offer Ken but I think I’m going to stick with new. I’m usually perfectly happy and even prefer used but I’m this case I just don’t want to have any doubts. bur to answer your question my bought is in Norfolk right now but will be making the trek down the ICW to Oriental soon - hence the search for a good outboard!
cas1543

Post by cas1543 »

Any experience with an outboard on a CD25 that can’t fully swivel in the outboard well? A little nervous about slow speed maneuvering though I’m told it’s not too big of an issue even with an outboard that only has about 10 deg. radius of turn.

Thanks again.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

many online outboard sellers are simply the online store of a brick and motor marine store. ask if they have a store and call Tohatsu to see if they are an authorized seller...

fwiw....call ur local Tohatsu dealer and ask their price. what they may tell you is "buy outboard from defender". the local dealer will then do the pre-inspect delivery and register your warranty. you really want to do business with a local dealer for these small motors. the 6hp SailPro has a reputation for having a fussy carb setting do to EPA jet orifices that are ludicrously tiny…

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
cas1543

Post by cas1543 »

Thanks for the help all. Definitely will go with a brick and mortar store for some peace of mind, as recommended.

Last question for the group - long shaft (20") or ultra-long shaft (25") Sailpro? I think the long shaft would suffice but I'm considering whether I could install a taller motor mount board in order to raise the motor up in the outboard well a bit so that I can actually pivot the motor.

Thanks!