Beautiful Pictures of a Cape Dory 22, CD22 - Salvagable?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

cd22fan6

Beautiful Pictures of a Cape Dory 22, CD22 - Salvagable?

Post by cd22fan6 »

Despite the damage and neglect, I still find her pretty. As a complete novice, what kind of waters am I diving into?

I intend to follow the steps laid out by Don Casey. First to insure her seaworthiness: evaluating hull and deck—including portholes and hatches—and correcting any deficiencies. Second to establish the integrity of her rig and her engines. However, I lack knowledge specific to Cape Dory boats.

Can I kindly ask you all for your opinion?
The full photo album: https://imgur.com/a/X5TVSPv

Note: to see any picture in detail, please right click on it & select the "Open Image In New Tab" option. (Long press on the image if you are on your phone)

Water damage? Leaking hull to deck joint?

See the rest of her here: https://imgur.com/a/X5TVSPv
Seaweed2

Re: Beautiful Pictures of a Cape Dory 22, CD22 - Salvagable?

Post by Seaweed2 »

Of course, I am no expert, but I see a lot of promise in the boat. I do agree, it is a pretty boat and really doesn't appear to be in too much disrepair from the photos. It clearly needs some attention but it is floating! There are lots of projects visible so I would start, as you said, with making sure it is seaworthy and get to sailing it between/amidst the projects. Working on a boat can be sometimes just as fulfilling as sailing so enjoy both aspects of owning this boat and you will find many rewards.

There are lots of threads on this site to help you with your projects. Research how others have dealt with them and learn as you go. The boat is a simple design with relatively simple systems that can be easily be managed. Remember to find satisfaction in the work and joy in sailing and you cannot go wrong!
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Seaweed2

Post by Seaweed2 »

Oh, I forgot to mention: get the fuel can out of the cabin!
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

As a CD22 owner for about 8 years, at a glance it seems fine. but, i'm only looking at pix. questions:

1) what skills do you have and coin to make repairs/improvements?
2) do you have the time? and place to work on it?
3) what's the bilge look like and the area under the cockpit sole (accessible aft of the port berth)?
4) how old is standing rigging? sails?
5) are you planning to haul her? need to know what bottom looks like?
6) regarding the rubrail, hard to tell if it's cosmetic. you're leaking on port side but damage seems on starboard side
7) engine condition?
8) how much is it?

for the most part a boat is a boat and their aren't many specific model issues that you need to be concerned with. if it was an Oday or Catalina...i'm yeah those models have specific areas of concern.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I think this would be a great project boat. It’s a manageable size and shouldn’t become a financial or a time burden. Start by addressing and leaks and water incursion then take your time with the window dressing, such as the rubrail/toerail repairs. You should be able to enjoy sailing while attacking your repair/refurbishment punch list which will tend to keep you motivated toward attaining your goals. The CD22 has lovely lines, well worth the effort.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

When contemplating a restoration on a mid-1980s vintage boat, it is a good idea to start with your "all-up" budget - The max that you can or are willing to invest. If you are new to sailboat repairs, you may want to get a survey - it's usually only a few hundred dollars for a 22-footr, and the surveyor can help you understand what the priorities are and whether the boat is worth investing in depending on your all-up budget. Also, I tend to be real picky about replacing standing (wire rope) rigging if there is no documentation that it has been done recently. A lot of the wire rope corrosion occurs inside the swaged fittings where it isn't visible, and it is a really bad day when your entire rig comes down because a critical wire rope lets go. Best.
MHB Sailor
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

be careful with starting a rehab on a smaller boat. two-footitis – the need to move up to a boat 2-feet longer than the one you have :roll:
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I think this looks like a great fixer up project. I brought back our Typhoon from worse. From what I can see in the photos everything looks fixable and not too complicated. I concur with your trust in Don Casey's books. I have used much of his advice and it has worked well on two Cape Dories over the years.

Good luck with this fun looking project - a lovely boat with good design and build pedigree, a perfect size, not too big, not too small I reckon. I think you will find much help from the people on this board. And try putting a little time into doing searches here as often you may find your exact question recently answered..
Paul
CDSOA Member
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Some very sound advice. I agree with Rick, you need to answer a number of questions about this Project. Also your looking possibly to be spending a few thousand dollars just in basic supplies/repairs/replacement. I have done a couple similar types repairs but I have a job that gives me access to marine service. I wouldn't be reluctant to go for it but it's a project . Brian 1985 Typhoon Senior
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I agree with everyone's good advice. You did not state your budget. Price out ball park what stuff will cost. Old outboards that have been sitting can be unreliable and the average do it yourselfer can't do much with them. Nothing worst they showing up to sail on that perfect day and the engine won't start. You can very quickly put $5K in her.
Things that will add up quick
New outboard
marine paint
replacement teak
running rigging
sails, baggy blown out sails on a small boat will not be fun.
blocks
radio, depth sounder or more

She is pretty and looks to have been taken care. The old Johnson and sails would be my biggest concern. As Jim pointed out, you can work on cosmatics while you are using her.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Just saw picture of bow, that headstay is completely unsafe. Probably not the only one. Just had to say!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Brimag wrote:Just saw picture of bow, that headstay is completely unsafe. Probably not the only one. Just had to say!
Makes me wonder what’s hiding under those turnbuckle covers. I have never been a fan of those things. I presume all the standing rigging is due for replacement.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

A really pretty boat, I think. It seems to me that the key is 1) be certain that standing rigging is ok, I suggest professional inspection and maybe replacement of fore and aft shrouds as you are 100% dependent on these. 2) be certain that that water intrusion is minimal and fixable. Once you know for sure you can fix when convenient. Once you are satisfied on these two points you can go sailing! The other items that are visible seem cosmetic and can be fixed over time while you enjoy her. Don Casey as a guide cannot be beat.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time and money.

Lots of folks are focused on the standing rigging and yes it should be changed. That is relatively cheap and easy. You should do the lifeline at the same time. I would also plan on all new running rigging and the sails may not be too great either. You could live with some bagged out sails without further damage to the boat. Yes, the rub and toe rails will need to be addressed. I would also plan on re bedding all of the deck hardware. This will be cheap but time consuming. If you care about cosmetics and or comfort, then new upholstery and foam cushions will be needed. Not cheap. How it the motor, and battery? Hoses are probably old as well. A wild card is the decks. If there is rotten core then you are in for a VERY big job. It would be good to check before you buy, just to know what you are in for. You will still have to do all the normal maintenance, but it could be more problematic as the boat has sat in the water for some time. Frozen seacocks immediately come to mind.

If you are young or at least in good shape, rather handy, with lots of time and enough money, then this could be a great project. Plan on spending the first year of ownership, working this boat instead of sailing it. All of these projects take far longer than you can imagine, Steve.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

With time, money and elbow grease she can be made like new again. Repairing the teak rub and toerails may be your biggest expense. If you purchase that boat, the first thing you need to do is tie her up properly in her slip. The bow should never overhang the dock, especially a fixed dock.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay