Defender’s Warehouse update

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

Defender’s Warehouse update

Post by Jim Walsh »

Defenders Warehouse will be closed from December 19 to approximately March 15, 2023. They are undergoing a major renovation. You can still order on the internet and there will be the option of picking your orders up in person from the warehouse, similar to how things were handled during the Covid shutdown. One thing to note is that they have ceased, for the foreseeable future, in-house rigging services, such as splicing. They have no plans to ever host another open house going forward. The configuration of their future showroom will not accommodate it. A longtime employee told me the “showroom”, as opposed to “store”, will have a limited selection of items on display and ordering stations will be available to customers to make selections of products which will then be picked and delivered to a pickup point for the customer.
Time will tell if this is a successful business model. I thought some of us here might be interested.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Defender’s Warehouse update

Post by jbenagh »

Thanks for the update. I liked their old model; let's see how this goes.
Jeff
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Glad I got to experience the glory days of Defender. First time I walked into that store; I was completely overwhelmed. Always loved to look through the discounted area and scored about a six year supply of purple bottom paint, at an exceptionally good price, one time. I have spent a lot of money in there and always appreciated being able to talk to some very knowledgeable salespeople.

The annual sale was an event, not to be missed. It was a great opportunity to talk to factory reps. I always ran into people I knew and had fun, people watching in general. Then there were always the Loins, hotdogs for lunch, on the way out.

As with so many things these days, I don't expect this to be a change for the better.
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I too will miss the old model (and especially the annual warehouse sale). That being said, my guess is that the old model was not sustainable and that not changing was not an option. It will be a change for the better for consumers if it keeps them in business and they are able to still offer the same quality goods at the lowest prices, even if it is not quite in the same folksy manner.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

It will be interesting to see how long they keep this warehouse location vs moving it to a logistically and more strategic location optimized for fulfillment and shipping, and lower tax rate…. Yes the old days of Defender are long gone, especially when PE takes over….

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I was just there during the week before Thanksgiving. Who but Defender has a macerating marine toilet in stock and exactly the model I was looking for? I had no idea anything was afoot. Thanks for the heads-up. Another casualty of our on-line shopping habits.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim. Kinda sad. Enjoyed reading all the comments. "Here is to the sunny slopes of long ago."
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

I'm sure this a result of their being sold. See https://www.theday.com/local-news/20220 ... -retailer/ for the ugly details.
Dmitche4

Post by Dmitche4 »

This reminds how Service Merchandise was set up in the 80s, walk into the showroom then they send out to you what you picked out or ordered.
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I hope this turns out better than the Safe Harbor takeovers of family boatyards.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

On the good side, FortNine has the best motorcycle videos on the internet. They are brilliant, e.g.
https://youtu.be/EOwxxsPaogY
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

Dmitche4 wrote:This reminds how Service Merchandise was set up in the 80s, walk into the showroom then they send out to you what you picked out or ordered.
yes i remember that.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I’m not sure the old model wasn’t sustainable. Like everyone else, we “have our price” and the owners probably walked away with a lot of cash…. They’ve always had a thriving e-commerce business and in-store of course.

Remodeling a showroom isn’t a business model move, if they wanted to cut labor costs they could have easily lowered the number of staff on site. My guess is they move the warehouse in a few years to a LCOL area.

jfischgrund wrote:I too will miss the old model (and especially the annual warehouse sale). That being said, my guess is that the old model was not sustainable and that not changing was not an option. It will be a change for the better for consumers if it keeps them in business and they are able to still offer the same quality goods at the lowest prices, even if it is not quite in the same folksy manner.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Okay, I give up. What is an LCOL area?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Okay, I give up. What is an LCOL area?
I think he meant local.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay