Windlass - Orvea Monza / Italwinch Giglio (clutch cones)

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

S/V Ethan Grey

Windlass - Orvea Monza / Italwinch Giglio (clutch cones)

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Does anyone have an old Orvea Monza windlass? I think it is basically the same as the Italwinch Giglio. Which may be almost identical to the Lofrans Royal. The only one I can find info on is the Lofrans Royal.

I found an Orvea Monza for $50 locally and picked it up. I knew it had issues, but I thought it was worth the gamble and the opportunity to learn about a windlass ;) It seems that the inner and outer clutch cones are missing. I didn't even know what a clutch cone was before I bought this thing. See, learnin' stuff ;) Anyway, I was hoping to find some info on the internet and be able to locate any needed replacement parts.

Unfortunately, I can't even find a picture of the internal workings for the Orvea Monza. If anyone has one of these, I would really appreciate a couple of pictures and measurements of the clutch cones. As a last resort, I guess I could try to have them machined or cast. I haven't tried either, so that would be another learning opportunity. I assume that bearing bronze or brass would make a suitable clutch cone and I can find 3.5" diameter rod of both on FleeceBay.

thanks in advance
-david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: Windlass - Orvea Monza / Italwinch Giglio (clutch cones)

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Photo attached
Attachments
D638C7D8-286B-4808-8D60-24555A4F9893.jpeg
D638C7D8-286B-4808-8D60-24555A4F9893.jpeg (4.22 MiB) Viewed 265 times
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Jim Walsh

Re: Windlass - Orvea Monza / Italwinch Giglio (clutch cones)

Post by Jim Walsh »

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36993

I stripped and serviced my Lofrans Royal Manual windlass a while back. It does not appear to share any common parts with your windlass but you never know. Perhaps the cone clutches and gypsy were manufactured by the same supplier? I had the schematic to guide me with reassembly and I was able to order replacement parts from IMTRA, the importer. It might be worth calling them to see if the can provide the dimensions of the clutches for the Royal on the odd chance they might fit your application.
A small machine shop could turn a set of replacements but they would want the dimensions off the old clutches or a set of blueprints to work from. You won’t find someone willing to reverse engineer replacements unless they have windlass experience already.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time