Cape Dory 30 MK ll Genoa size

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve O

Cape Dory 30 MK ll Genoa size

Post by Steve O »

Hi
We are getting a new Genoa for the Cape Dory 30 MK ll we just got. I would appreciate any suggestions on Size. The loft we decided on Vermont Sailing Partners suggested a 135. If owners could share their experiences would be appreciated. We are mostly day sailing out of Marblehead where I am told the average wind is 11-14. But for some reason almost every afternoon we went out on our Nonsuch it was
16-17. We may do an occasional chase race but are generally looking for comfortable sailing. Thanks very much

Steve O
1989 Cape Dory 30 MK ll #24
Marblehead Harbor
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Cape Dory 30 MK ll Genoa size

Post by jbenagh »

Steve,
Not the same boat for me but close (CD30) and same sailing grounds. I got similar advice and sailed with a 135+ for 10 years. Last year we got a 110 and Christine C now sails like Alberg intended! Now one paragraph of observations on Salem Sound outside of Marblehead than some advice.
Salem Sound is really fluky. On most summer weekends, once the power boats head out, you're in light winds that are not dictated by the force of nature. You'll get a lot of flopping (I hesitate to call it luffing since it's driven by motorboat wake, both water and wind). If you're out of the sound (past Misery, Bakers, Childrens) wind will be more "natural". This the state most weekends 7/4 to mid-August. But, keep an eye out for good days: that's about half of them but maybe not when you are free to sail.
In any decent wind, like 8-10+ knots, the 110 is just as fast as the 135 and much easier to handle. With a 110, you will reef the main earlier (a little more work) than the genoa but will be rewarded with fingertip control on the tiller.
Also, the 110 gives you decent visibility under the sail (no severe leeward ducks) which is another big advantage.
Finally, when you get the Salem Sound harbor hurricane (not literally but almost Trade Marked, happens every summer day around 4-5pm just when guests are ready for the mooring), the 110 is easily managed and the 135 is not.
PM if you'd like to discuss further. Or happy to discuss here.
Jeff
Steve O

Post by Steve O »

Jbenagh
Thanks so much for your response. That is great information on how the 110 performs in 8-10. To me the ease of handling when there is air as opposed to rare times it is low single digits is worth the trade off. It is amazing how less can be more. I know our boats our different in that the MK ll has 1.5 more beam and a little less deadrise So trying to get information on how that plays out to the ability to stand up , resist heeling and the right Genoa size. Thanks

Steve
Steve O

Post by Steve O »

Jeff
Not sure if PM went through. New at navigating this site
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

FYI - Messages will stay in your outbox until they are read by the recipient. I'm sure your message was sent just fine. Not everyone visits here every day, so be patient. You will know the message has been read when you no longer see it in your outbox.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Great description of sailing conditions in Salem Sound and just offshore. A question, when using the 110, are you also using a staysail/boom? My conclusion after sailing for 1 year with the CD30 in this area is that my furling 145 is great for light air, but overall a 110 to 120 would be more appropriate. Was not sure though how the staysail would factor in.

Thanks
Steve O

Post by Steve O »

Hi
My sailmaker makes a pretty good case for the flexibility of a 135 that can be reefed down. I am hoping a 30 MK ll owner can chime in here as it is a different hull than the 30.

Thank you

Steve
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

sometimes even the 135 can be too much .. but a good sail should reef down to a decent shape .. maybe. my MKII is a cutter so we have the luxury of 2 headsails. previous owner of my boat said my jib is 135 but i'm not so sure. it is a yankee cut .. seems more like 110 or 120 which I think you would be happy with.
Steve O

Post by Steve O »

Thanks to all for your input. We have decided on a crosscut 125 7oz

Your responses were all very helpful.

Steve O
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The CD30MKII was designed by Clive Dent as a sloop. I think she came with a 130 or 135% Genoa.

http://www.capedory.org/specs/brochures ... ochure.pdf
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay