What Was Cape Dory Thinking?

Discussions about Cape Dory powerboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

What Was Cape Dory Thinking?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

You are looking at the generator exhaust hose fitting. This would have been fine if the plan was to screw on a seacock, but not for a hose clamp. No wonder my exhaust hose leaked. Fair warning to other CD28 Power owners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
JD-MDR

Re: What Was Cape Dory Thinking?

Post by JD-MDR »

last week I moved the water muffler thing about 10 in. I thought I couldn't afford to make a fiberglass fitting so I used 1-1/2" galvanized fittings. I put marine tex on the threads to make a smoother surface for the rubber hose I don't like it. The galvy parts cost $60. I will probably force myself to make one out of fiberglass. I saw 90 degree FRP fittings for $90 ea . So two of those and a nipple in between will probably be about $250
I just noticed the Vetus watermuffler has a rotating inlet so I could eliminate one of the elbows. They also have fittings. I can't find the price.

I did it like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD-MDR on Nov 9th, '22, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Here is the new generator exhaust hose fitting with a proper hose barb and exterior exhaust flange. This should not leak.

This shows the value of a survey. The surveyor picked up on this. I've been slowly but steadily ticking off the list of survey items.

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Would you mind posting some photos of your generator set-up? Where is it located?

Thanks!
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'll take some more photos of the generator installation when I'm back at the boat next weekend. In the meantime, the generator is a Westerbeke 12.5 kW diesel generator. It is mounted aft of the engine on the port side. The attached photo shows the physical location of the generator and the generator starter battery. More photos later. I hope this helps.

Sir Isaac Newton
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Thanks for the picture! That is where my batteries are located (for now). I’m sure it’s nice to have a genset on board.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Just to close the loop on this, I did try to take more photos of the generator installation. It's located in a very congested area that makes it hard to get meaningful photos. I'm afraid the above photo is as good as it's going to get. I don't use the genset as much as I thought I would, but it's nice knowing it's there when I do. I have to admit, coming from a sailing background, I used to hate listening to people's genset at anchor, so I'm very sensitive not to be "that guy". I'm very discrete about when I run the genset, and never at night or early morning.

Sir Isaac Newton
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

Yikes!
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Nice job on the new exhaust fitting, Carl. I also like the flap on your main exhaust outlet. I wish I could find something like that for my boat. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Frenchy wrote:Nice job on the new exhaust fitting, Carl. I also like the flap on your main exhaust outlet. I wish I could find something like that for my boat. - Jean
“Seachoice Exhaust Guard” is available in three or four inch models. My Spartan exhaust throughhull has a very short lip.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Frenchy wrote:Nice job on the new exhaust fitting, Carl. I also like the flap on your main exhaust outlet. I wish I could find something like that for my boat. - Jean
Just do a Google search on “Salisbury Exhaust Guard” and you should be able to find a replacement.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay