Tiller vs. Wheel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Tiller vs. Wheel

Post by casampson »

I have my eye on a lovely Southern Cross 28. In my opinion, the only negative about the boat, other than the asking price, is that it has a wheel instead of a tiller. But is this really a negative? For one thing, the cockpit on the Southern Cross isn't large, so I could imagine that a wheel would take up less room than a tiller would. What other differences are there? What is your preference? Is it worth it to convert from wheel steering to a tiller?

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

Chris
Jim Walsh

Re: Tiller vs. Wheel

Post by Jim Walsh »

It’s really a matter of personal preference. It’s the integrity of the installation which is paramount. There are tillers with some play in them which is not always easily remedied and there are wheels with no “feedback” such as many hydraulic steering units. A tiller has less components than a wheel installation so maintenance is important. Some people like a pedestal mounted MFD, compass, and engine controls…some find these features less important. There is the matter of aesthetics, but that, in my estimation carry’s no more weight than function…it’s the old form over function debate. A robust and reliable installation is required of both forms of steering. All of my boats 26’ and under had tillers, those over 26’ had wheel steering. Reliability is the prime factor for me.
When it comes to the eternal question of “which anchor is best” there is only one answer…mine.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Yeah, Chris, I like a tiller a bit better too. But I've gotten used to the wheel and the difference is really nothing
to fret about. I most definitely would not expend the energy and money to convert. Like Jim says,
the integrity is what's important. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

casampson wrote:Is it worth it to convert from wheel steering to a tiller?

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

Chris

no. my 28 had a wheel.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I agree with the preference comments and I would argue what is a good installation for the boat/cockpit layout. I would check for cockpit floor integrity around the pedestal and the mounts for the steering idler pulleys and general condition of the sheaves and cables/chain. If it is Edson gear, they will have any part you need.
Paul
CDSOA Member
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I had sent my worm drive steering gear in to Edsen for refinishing .While it was out I rigged a temporary tiller.. I noticed a big difference when using the windvane . The windvane seems to work much better without all the mechanics of the wheel and autopilot etc. If I had a tiller originally I would definitely keep it.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

This topic usually creates some interesting comments. That said...I am an an unapologetic tiller proponent all the way. For me, a wheel has no advantage on a boat under 40', and even then it's debatable depending on the design. For example if I had a Cal 40 it would have to have a tiller. Dorade, the SS designed 52' classic and her 53' sister Stormy Weather have tillers.

Anyway, since you asked these are a few of my reasons for choosing a tiller over a wheel and why I converted my CD 36 to a tiller despite being told by the "experts" it was a bad idea because blah blah blah. They were wrong on all accounts...for me.

A wheel and its associated systems are heavier than a tiller system adding weight to the stern. It takes up more room in the cockpit and under the cockpit sole. It requires more maintenance than a tiller system. If there is a problem with the wheel system it can be problematic to find a work around when offshore. Connecting a wheel to a windvane is more complicated and induces more friction in the system which means it can be less sensitive to wind shifts in light air. Getting to the guts of a wheel system under the cockpit sole can be a challenge--and I can't imagine how tight it would be wedges in there on a 28' double ender like a Southern Cross.

wheels take up more space in the cockpit than a tiller though while sailing tillers do require more space to sweep during a tack or gybe. Tiller can be folded back out of the way when sailing with a windvane or at anchor or at the dock creating more room than a wheel with pedestal.

The position of a wheel is fixed so the helmsman is essentially forced to steer from the side or behind the wheel regardless the weather conditions. The aft position forces the helmsman beyond the protection of a dodger. A tiller alllows you to steer from a variety of positions and if long enough you can stay under the dodger while steering. Singlehanding, you can steer with the tiller between your legs while tacking and gybing leaving your hands free to handle the jib, stays'l, and main sheets.

Some sailors like wheels. That's cool too. If you like it, well then you like it. You don't need anymore reason than that. You should like what you have and have what you like. No one should feel the need apologize for what they prefer. But, since you asked, those are my reasons for preferring a tiller over a wheel and why were it me, I would absolutely convert a SC to a tiller or keep looking for another boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.