Washington State Gelcoat Company

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

Washington State Gelcoat Company

Post by MHBsailor »

There used to be a company in Washington State famous for being able to match Cape Dory gelcoat colors. Does anyone know if they are still in business (and if so their name and city), or if they have found any other companies who have done a great job with color matching? I need to do a few deck and cockpit repairs on the light beige parts. Thanks!
MHB Sailor
Frenchy

Re: Washington State Gelcoat Company

Post by Frenchy »

Yes, you're probably thinking of Gel Coat Products out of Seattle. They have the Cape Dory white and the
beige used on decks. I've ordered from them. I got both the white and beige premixed with DuraTech,
50-50 with extra pigment added because of the dilution. The DuraTech will allow you to spray without
further thinning. It also, theoretically anyway, obviates the need for PVA. I put it on anyway, to ensure a
cure. Anyway, good luck. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

Over the 22 odd years I've ordered from them 4 times. The first three were very satisfactory, with the resulting repair so good that even if you knew where it was, you couldn't find it. The fourth (and final) purchase (Oct 21) was all wrong. To be fair, the guy on the phone said they had lost the recipe (computer crash or new photo matching machine or something) and all he was able to do was a best guess. I went ahead and placed my order but when the yard sprayed it, it was way too red. They had to sand it off and start over. In addition to blowing $135, I got to have it done over. The yard did an "eyeball match" which was better than the Gel Coat Products but not all that good. It is obvious where the old and new meet. Sigh.

If somebody has had better experience with GCP since the last year or so, I'd like to know or if anybody has another source, that would be helpful as well. Otherwise, be careful and maybe paint a scrap chip to compare before you put it on the boat. That way you will only be out the purchase price and not have to re-do it.

Steve Bernd
CD28 #363 Valhalla
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I was going to order some Cape Dory White for the Spring, but now I'll
probably try to match it myself. It's not easy; takes a lot of patience; and the match is never exact. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts