Practical Sailor cover features John Stone, CD 36 Far Reach

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mbigos

Practical Sailor cover features John Stone, CD 36 Far Reach

Post by Mbigos »

Congratulations to John Stone for publishing the first in a series of his rebuilding the CD 36 Far Reach articles in Practical Sailor! https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-m ... pe-dory-36 . And thank you John for sharing this and so many sea stories. We are all richer and inspired from your tips, methods, findings and success. You've showed us a great example of a "far-reaching" CD with really cool modifications. It's easy to relate to your experience because we all love CDs so much, and because she brings you to places that many of us only dream of visiting.
Last edited by Mbigos on Oct 29th, '22, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
gonesail

Re: Congratulations to John Stone

Post by gonesail »

wow .. 6000 hours and 6 years .. crazy. for me life would always get in the way of that sort of commitment. but it would be nice to be able to concentrate on such a task on a regular basis. good for the soul.
Dana

Re: Congratulations to John Stone

Post by Dana »

I want to add my sincere appreciate and congratulate John for all the postings about his adventures and his sharing his knowledge of Cape Dories. His web page is wonderful and his help/advice via email
is amazing. Thanks again John and well done.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Practical Sailor cover features John Stone, CD 36 Far Re

Post by John Stone »

Hi y'all. Thanks. The Nov issue contains the first of a five part series PS graciously asked me to write on the boat rebuild. PS also asked for an article or two on the engine install to which I have tentatively agreed to provide.

Writing the articles has been an interesting experience. It was fun reliving the rebuild while putting the articles together. So many memories. I hope they prove useful to others.

I always liked the photo they used for the cover shot. I attached it below for those interested in seeing the magazine cover.

I also have a hundred plus hours of GoPro video I shot over the course of our voyages to the VI. I have begun to experiment with them but it takes time to edit. It’s a work in Progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Oct 30th, '22, 13:53, edited 2 times in total.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Hey John, I just read the Practical Sailor article. Well done! I have been through your web site but didn't truly appreciate the scope of the project until I read the article. I look forward to seeing the rest of the installments of the series.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Just saw this in practical sailor. Congratulations John what a great detailed article for all sailors to read.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Great that Practical Sailor is publishing your Far Reach rebuild.
And thank you for posting so much of the information from your work.
It has helped me (and I'm sure many) in planning and working on the boat.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very cool…that’s a fine accomplishment to share your journey with a wider audience.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

John, nice article. I was so happy to have followed along when you did the work. So glad you also shared your philosophy behind the work; it's so easy for people to get a few concepts here and there but not think out their inherent contradictions.
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I’m glad to hear y’all enjoyed the adventures and the PS article. I appreciate it. Sailing is such a great sport. Clearly it speaks to all of us in similar ways. It is a welcome respite from a crazy world. Like salve for the soul.

Happy sailing.