spreader hardware

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

freitknecht

spreader hardware

Post by freitknecht »

Any suggestions for new spreader hardware to attach spreader to base on CD 4 mast on CD 27 and where to get it?

Thanks.
VaCD25

Re: spreader hardware

Post by VaCD25 »

I recently bought new spreaders from Rig Rite in Rhode Island. Send email, they will reply
Last edited by VaCD25 on Oct 17th, '22, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Dwyer Mast

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I assume it is similar to my CD28, where the cast aluminum spreader base fittings corroded and cracked. I found Rig Rite useless. They showed the OEM part in their catalogue, and I would have happily purchased a pair, but never could get a firm quote or delivery date. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

After wasting a month, I asked Garhauer make a pair of custom stainless ones for ~$450 which worked fine. You make a drawing of what you want, including the mast exterior profile and they will build one to fit.

While installing them, a workman in the yard told me they have used Catalina 27 bases which are available and leave the shrouds/stays within an inch or so of where they were originally so you can keep the old ones. I can't confirm this and suspect it depends on the mast type, spreader diameter, etc. but it may be worth a few minutes to see what Catalina has available.

Steve
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Your CD27 has Spartan Spars (unless replaced with something else by a previous owner). Rig-Rite is the sole distributor of Spartan Spars. You’ll find the specs for your mast, boom, spreaders and hardware at their web site.

CD-4 mast section: https://rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Spars/cd4_mast.php

If you scroll down the page for the link provided above, you’ll find the hardware, as well as the spreader bases, used on that mast.

If you don’t want to purchase new spreader bases from Rig-Rite, contact the Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. instead. Keep in mind that Dwyer does NOT make a CD-4 equivalent mast. Using the info and pictures from the Rig-Rite site you may be able to identify some Dwyer parts to fit your mast.

https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp

Rig-Rite spreaders for CD-4 mast:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay