Mast heel and step

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

LSD87

Mast heel and step

Post by LSD87 »

While asking questions about the rake of my CD 22 mast on a Facebook rigging forum I posted this picture. I got about 82 comments. Several posts were concerned with the cracks in the mast and with the caved in plate. A couple even suggested I need a new mast and step. So, I’ll need to see a rigger for an opinion. I was going to haul her out in a few weeks anyway and unstep. Does this look like a safety concern?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dawson
CD22
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Mast heel and step

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Steve,

You really won’t know what kind of shape the mast step is in until the mast is unstepped. You’ll be able to better inspect the mast too.

There should be no rake at all in your mast. The mast should stand straight, perpendicular to the water and flat up against the mast step. There shouldn’t be a gap between the bottom of the mast and the step.

We didn’t have a CD22, but on our CD32, there was no bolt going through the mast and mast step. Where there are bolts going through the mast, there are compression tubes to help prevent you from over tightening the nut. I don’t think that bolt belongs there, but hopefully other CD22 owners will chime in with the correct info.

- Cathy Monaghan
CD32 Realization, #3
GL39 Electra, #40
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Thanks Cathy. I know it’s really not the best thing to diagnose something like this on the internet with pictures. I have 1 year of sailing and boat ownership experience. It’s tough to find someone around here to work with on this too. I appreciate your comments. Thank you again!
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Well Cathy, I did get ahold of someone who can properly diagnose. As you indicated, the mast needs to come down. So that’s the plan as of this moment…haha
Steve Dawson
CD22
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I’ve got a 22, bolt goes thru the mast step so that’s normal.

Looks like you got a bit of rake on the mast? The 22 has a bit of weather helm so not sure why you would add more rake in the sail plan.

I see some minor crack but hard to tell. Dwyer Mast sells replacements if you go that or chop bottom or sister a sleeve.

Where are you located. One thing you’ll learn…the boating trade has its share of questionable “experts”. Post what’s being recommended too.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

s2sailorlis wrote:I’ve got a 22, bolt goes thru the mast step so that’s normal.

Looks like you got a bit of rake on the mast? The 22 has a bit of weather helm so not sure why you would add more rake in the sail plan.

I see some minor crack but hard to tell. Dwyer Mast sells replacements if you go that or chop bottom or sister a sleeve.

Where are you located. One thing you’ll learn…the boating trade has its share of questionable “experts”. Post what’s being recommended too.
Rick, I’me located on the Hudson River about 100. Ike’s north of NYC and 40 miles south of Albany in Saugerties, NY. I’ve owned the boat for 1 year now. It’s my first boat ever and I just learned how to sail by taking ASA 101 last year. So far this year I’ve been able to get out 3-4 times per week on average through September. Things have slowed down over the last month. I didn’t even realize that there was that much rake on the mast until this week. I had the mast off because of an electrical problem and my sheaves were determined to be seized too. I tried to do a better job tuning the boat and noticed the rake. Replaced my engine this year too. So quite a first year of learning!

I sent pictures to a rigger and he said he wants to see it with the mast off. A local marina who stored the boat last year and who stepped the mast told me I should monitor the crack for movement and since I’m only day sailing don’t worry about it. So I’m not terrible experienced in these matters so I’m doing my best to stay safe and sail as much as possible. I just like to take her out for a few hours at a time and then back home.
Steve Dawson
CD22
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Sounds good. Dwyer sells everything you need to replace various mast parts.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... 2D450+Mast

The DM450 mast and parts are what you need to replace anything. I’ve purchased from them before. Note that they sell the masthead as a complete unit, or piece parts like the sheaves, just click the pix of masthead to see individual price breakdown…..

PM me if you have questions.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

s2sailorlis wrote:Sounds good. Dwyer sells everything you need to replace various mast parts.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... 2D450+Mast

The DM450 mast and parts are what you need to replace anything. I’ve purchased from them before. Note that they sell the masthead as a complete unit, or piece parts like the sheaves, just click the pix of masthead to see individual price breakdown…..

PM me if you have questions.
Thanks Rick!
Steve Dawson
CD22
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Steve, I'd like to offer a slightly different view. I don't see a whole lot wrong. The mast step looks to be
indented at what I think is the aft end, but other than that, I don't see a problem. The bolt in the middle
might be there to hold the mast to the step when the mast is tilted forward, as the step might be hinged,
I'm thinking.
I wouldn't be surprised if the only repairs consist of flattening the mast step and perhaps adding some
reinforcement along with correcting the rake. Anyway, good luck - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Frenchy wrote:Hi Steve, I'd like to offer a slightly different view. I don't see a whole lot wrong. The mast step looks to be
indented at what I think is the aft end, but other than that, I don't see a problem. The bolt in the middle
might be there to hold the mast to the step when the mast is tilted forward, as the step might be hinged,
I'm thinking.
I wouldn't be surprised if the only repairs consist of flattening the mast step and perhaps adding some
reinforcement along with correcting the rake. Anyway, good luck - Jean
Thank you Jean. I was at the boat today and took a closer look. The photo does make it look much worse. I initially took the picture to talk about the rake and tightening my forestay on a Facebook rigging forum. The next thing I know I’m worried to death. Yes the step is hinged.
Steve Dawson
CD22
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

I don't see an immediate problem in the mast shown in the pics...the damage may be more extensive when you get a chance to examine it more closely.....since the mast is in compression there is no danger of pull-thru of the bolt....there is some base load fore and aft and athrwart the boat which is mostly resisted by friction between mast base and seat......
if the mast was in tension, then, I would pay more attention to the possibility of the bolt pulling thru the base of the mast.....
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

taking a closer look at the base of the mast...can not tell if the thru bolt is meant to provide a hinge mechanism when lowering the mast...if that is true, I don't see a sufficient gap between the base of the mast and the seat that would allow much rotation...so maybe the damage shown on the base of the mast resulted from binding of the mast base as it rotates about that thru bolt while lowering the mast...just a thought........
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

on further thought, again, since there is a gap between the base of the mast and the seat, my original statement of the load in the base of mast fore and aft and athwart the boat is resisted by friction between the base of the mast and the seat is incorrect in this case....
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

SAIL1 I Believe the bolt goes through the mast shoe. I’ll post better pictures this weekend but I have this one for now. The step aft of the mast that looks like it’s depressed and cracked is not cracked, just dirty. The depression is maybe 1/16, but I’ll get better info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dawson
CD22
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Hey Steve,

When you haul the boat this fall and take the mast down you will be able to take the base off the mast and better see what is going on. Here's what the base of the mast on my 1981 CD22 looked like two years ago when I removed it to re-do the wiring in the mast:
IMG_8491.JPG
As you can see in the photo above, the aluminum below the hole for the through-bolt was torn out on both sides. When the mast was up you couldn't see the damage because it was hidden by the washers.

Here's what the base looked like when the mast was removed:
IMG_8488.JPG
My solution was to drill and tap a set of machine screws through the mast and into the base. You have to do this forward of the through-bolt as there is no lip inside the base on the aft side of the base to accommodate the extrusion for the mainsail slugs. I also tightened the through-bolt. (I guess technically it's not a through bolt anymore because of the missing material, but the friction of the tight bolt adds a bit more "grab".) Here's what it looked like after the repair:
DSC_4845.JPG
When I put it back together I used plenty of Tef-Gel to discourage new corrosion. That's the white stuff oozing out from the machine screws. This has kept the base and mast securely attached to each other ever since. I have sailed 130 days and 1,225 nautical miles since this repair and stepped and unstepped the mast twice.

When the mast is up the base is in compression and there isn't much danger of the mast step coming off unless your standing rigging is incredibly slack or the cracks are so bad that the mast splits like a banana peel. You should see that kind of problem coming well in advance as long as you inspect it frequently. The worry for me is when stepping and unstepping the mast, as the loads on the base are not simple compression. So far I have had no problems, but you may want to have extra help when you lower the mast this fall. I'd place a person at the base of the mast to watch the step for signs that the mast and hinged base are not staying together. (Have the person be at the side of the base so if the mast step slides forward as you drop the masthead aft they are not in the way.) I use an A-frame to raise and lower my mast. See the following posts: Discussion and Video.

Until you can drop the mast, I suggest that you inspect it after each sail for signs of further cracking. If you can adjust the rig to get the rake out so the base sits flat that would be good. If you were crossing oceans (in a CD22--that would be a story!) you would definitely want to replace the mast so you wouldn't have to worry about things going to hell thousands of miles from help, but for daysailing and being within a few miles from home I would just keep an eye on it.

Please post photos after you haul and share what's happening.

Smooth sailing,

Jim