Interesting Boats

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Re: Interesting Boats

Post by wikakaru »

Well, there are some, but we don't like to talk about it.

I have to say that the proportion of beautiful to ugly boats up here in Maine is much higher than anywhere else I have been. I think part of it is that the long winters give people time to do the amount of maintenance that these boats require; part of it is that there is a strong tradition of classic boatbuilding and a good supply of craftsmen here to work on these kinds of boats; part of it is that Maine is "America's Vacationland" and a lot of the people who live here during the summer are wealthy and can afford to keep a boat like this and to pay someone else to maintain it for them; and part of it is that the maritime culture is so embedded in daily life here that people know what pretty boats look like and truly appreciate them. I don't mean to brag, but back in Florida our Typhoon is without question the prettiest boat in the marina, probably on the whole bay. Pretty much all she has for competition are Hunt-alina-teaus, and that is no competition at all. Here in Maine our CD22 is just a wallflower among the belles of the ball.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I have to say, this is a truly lovely boat: White Wings, a Joel White-designed Bridges Point 24.
IMG_8629a.JPG
IMG_8629a.JPG (221.83 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
The BP24 has been made in daysailer and weekender versions, but this one is the only BP24 I've seen that has a bowsprit. I photographed her on Friday on a mooring in Fox Islands Thorofare. I would love to see her under sail in person. In lieu of that, here is a link to a short (1:46) video by Billy Black of a sistership under sail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9z8feJ6go.

There is a nice review from Maine Boats, Homes, & Harbors Magazine here: https://maineboats.com/print/issue-162/ ... at-company.

I'm not sure if they are still being made, but the builder has a web site here: https://www.bridgespointboatcompany.com/index.html

The review above says that Joel White took his inspiration from Nat Herreshoff's Alerion, though to my eye she looks a lot like the Alberg-designed Sea Sprite 23, a close cousin to many of our Alberg-designed Cape Dorys.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

And to put the interesting back in this thread, here is a really interesting boat: the 39-foot home-designed and home-built plywood and fiberglass junk-rigged ketch Terrapin. She was photographed on Friday sailing through Fox Islands Thorofare.
DSC_9277a.JPG
DSC_9277a.JPG (281.12 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Here is a video that was made by the builders and original owners about her construction that also includes a boat tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAprEj3iiY. Of special interest to Typhoon Senior and CD25 owners is that auxiliary propulsion is via twin 9.9 HP Yamaha outboards in cockpit wells. You can see them at 7:19 in the video.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Lovely video. Very inspirational. I have always been intrigued by the junk rig. I read all Roger Taylor’s books on his junk rigged Ming Ming. The outboards are clever. A very cool boat. Thanks for sharing a Jim.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:I have to say, this is a truly lovely boat: White Wings, a Joel White-designed Bridges Point 24.
IMG_8629a.JPG
The BP24 has been made in daysailer and weekender versions, but this one is the only BP24 I've seen that has a bowsprit. I photographed her on Friday on a mooring in Fox Islands Thorofare. I would love to see her under sail in person. In lieu of that, here is a link to a short (1:46) video by Billy Black of a sistership under sail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9z8feJ6go.

There is a nice review from Maine Boats, Homes, & Harbors Magazine here: https://maineboats.com/print/issue-162/ ... at-company.

I'm not sure if they are still being made, but the builder has a web site here: https://www.bridgespointboatcompany.com/index.html

The review above says that Joel White took his inspiration from Nat Herreshoff's Alerion, though to my eye she looks a lot like the Alberg-designed Sea Sprite 23, a close cousin to many of our Alberg-designed Cape Dorys.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
I thought for a second it was a Sea Sprite too! Joel White knew how to draw lines that’s for sure. I saw Sweet Olive on the hard in Camden in about 1996. She was beautiful.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’m certain I’ve shared these before but since junk rig is the current theme…a Vertue 25 converted to junk rig.
Attachments
A71B0D77-8CA9-4A4C-AFA4-75F510462511.jpeg
A71B0D77-8CA9-4A4C-AFA4-75F510462511.jpeg (327.95 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
ABCD9D2E-454A-42D1-ACC6-82DD30D47F8E.jpeg
ABCD9D2E-454A-42D1-ACC6-82DD30D47F8E.jpeg (429.42 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

In the first shot where she sits next to the big sloop that Vertue looks much less than 25 feet. In the second shot of her under sail, she looks much more. Funny how that works.

--Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Those Vertues are nice boats though they are small. Many circumnavigations.

One of my favorite books is "My Old Man and the Sea." Of course that was a fiberglass Vertue. But still, an epic voyage.
Last edited by John Stone on Aug 22nd, '22, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here's the Hinckly Pilot 35 yawl Blue Moon, photographed sailing in East Penobscot Bay yesterday. A pretty boat; a classic Sparkman & Stephens design. 25 of the 117 Pilot 35s built were yawls. If my intel is correct, this particular Pilot was built in 1972.

The Pilot 35 was one of the early fiberglass sailboats; Hinckley started building the Pilot from fiberglass in 1962 after having S&S modify an earlier design for the wooden Pilot for fiberglass construction. This was 3 years after Pearson started building the Carl Alberg-designed Triton in 1959.

Here's a nice review of the Pilot 35 by Practical Sailor: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sailbo ... y-pilot-35.
DSC_9434a.JPG
DSC_9434a.JPG (251.32 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
DSC_9440a.JPG
DSC_9440a.JPG (165.21 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
DSC_9445a.JPG
DSC_9445a.JPG (208.19 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

OK, here's a foray over to The Dark Side (that is, power boats). When I came back from my sail yesterday, the 160-foot motor yacht Chasseur was anchored in our cove. If you want to ogle over the interior, she has her own web page. What I found interesting about this boat is that she has two huge tenders, far too large to bring onboard the mother ship. One of them looks to be a Scout 530 with 5--count them, 5--Mercury 450R outboards on the back. That's 2,250 HP on the tender. Just two of the outboards alone, forget about the tender itself, cost more than I paid for my house. So that's how the other half lives. Wow.

--Jim
Chasseur
Chasseur
DSC_0345a.JPG (184.73 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

Amazing. I got nothing else.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:OK, here's a foray over to The Dark Side (that is, power boats). When I came back from my sail yesterday, the 160-foot motor yacht Chasseur was anchored in our cove. If you want to ogle over the interior, she has her own web page. What I found interesting about this boat is that she has two huge tenders, far too large to bring onboard the mother ship. One of them looks to be a Scout 530 with 5--count them, 5--Mercury 450R outboards on the back. That's 2,250 HP on the tender. Just two of the outboards alone, forget about the tender itself, cost more than I paid for my house. So that's how the other half lives. Wow.

--Jim
DSC_0345a.JPG

Saw a lot of those in the Caribbean. Most are under charter. Almost certainly a tax write off. Buy expensive boat. Put it into charter. Spend as much as you can on it to write off as operating cost. Get taxable income down. Whatever. They are ugly. I'm sure equipment technicians and crew, skippers, engineers benefit...so that's a good thing. I am focused on my own little price of the pie which is probably extravagant in some parts of the world....

Currently Jeep camping in the Adirondacks but always dreaming of ocean sailing.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Saw a lot of those in the Caribbean. Most are under charter. Almost certainly a tax write off. Buy expensive boat. Put it into charter. Spend as much as you can on it to write off as operating cost. Get taxable income down. Whatever. They are ugly. I'm sure equipment technicians and crew, skippers, engineers benefit...so that's a good thing. I am focused on my own little price of the pie which is probably extravagant in some parts of the world....

Currently Jeep camping in the Adirondacks but always dreaming of ocean sailing.
Sounds about right. This one charters for $240,000 per week plus expenses (crew, fuel, food, booze, etc).

Have fun on your camping trip! I'll bet you are enjoying the break from the heat!

--Jim
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Saw this one in Newport recently. Might be Hanuman?
Attachments
PXL_20220806_172330024.jpg
PXL_20220806_172330024.jpg (347.22 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Brimag wrote:Saw this one in Newport recently. Might be Hanuman?
That looks like the J Boat Endeavor built in 1934 for the Americas Cup. Gorgeous boat.