Settings for pilot and idle jet screws, Tohatsu outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robwm

Settings for pilot and idle jet screws, Tohatsu outboard

Post by robwm »

I have a 2015 Tohatsu outboard, 6HP and 4-stroke sail-pro and need some information regarding the settings for the pilot and idle jet screws. Hoping someone can elucidate ....

After battling an intermittent stalling issue (at the most inopportune times I might ad ...) and in frustration I finally did a complete rebuild of the fuel system including the dismantling and cleaning the carburetor, replacing the fuel pump and fuel lines and filter. Being the careful person I am and fully cognizant of the fact that I seem to be getting increasingly forgetful I wrote down the number of turns to close down the pilot and idle screws before backing them off and dismantling the carburetor so I could clean all those passages.

Well, my good intentions and foresight haven't paid off as the piece of paper on which the settings were written down is MIA; so much for memory aids!. I seem to recall that the pilot screw took 2.5 turns to close down, while the idle screw took 3.5. However given the track record of my memory circuits I am not all that sure that those remembrances are right.

So, any of you able to provide some advice regarding what those screw settings should actually be? Hoping to minimize wear and tear on my shoulder from pull-starting while trying various settings. Help will be highly appreciated ....

Robert
CD22, Hunky Dory
Lake Travis, Texas
fritz3000g

Re: Settings for pilot and idle jet screws, Tohatsu outboard

Post by fritz3000g »

I don't have this particular motor, but I have typically seen these values in the service manual. If you don't have it but live near a Tohatsu dealer you might be able to get an answer by asking at the counter (and presumably buying something).
s2sailorlis

Re: Settings for pilot and idle jet screws, Tohatsu outboard

Post by s2sailorlis »

You need a good shop tachometer to set these correctly. The low speed jet is capped at factory due to the EPA…. and set at factory. That’s the one that causes the stalling at low idle, assuming that’s your issue. Google “Tohatsu service manual” you’ll find some help there. However for the newer 4 strokes you won’t find the jet settings, find a pre EPA carb service manual and follow the procedure of adjustments…start about 1 1/2 turns out and adjust for highest idle that’s in the spec range…

BTW…this is a well known issue with these motors.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing