Any Ham operators?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ric14854

Re: Any Ham operators?

Post by ric14854 »

My CD36 came with an old M700 and an ICOM antenna tuner on the back-stay. I did go after my general ticket after investigating the options for communications (Marine SSB vs Amateur). I finally decided I will switch over to amateur radio on board. I have an ICOM-7300 that will be mounted in replacement of the M700. Most of what I hear on M700 are pactor modems sending emails and FAX broadcasts and WWV. I don't have it on much, and currently in the Great Lakes so not much need. The ICOM-7300 works well with the existing external antenna tuner. I just need to figure out a good counterpoise to improve the receive, probably will try a KISS eventually.

As some have mentioned, the current draw when transmitting is significant with either. Receive is not so significant. The amateur opens up the opportunity to use Winlink for email, significantly less expensive option for emails.

In the meantime, I am having fun with the Icom at home as a base station until retirement next year. Learning about propagation and antenna design. The downside is the solar cycles are at the low, so HF communications are poor right now, at least for SSB. Digital modes are impressive, I can reach Europe (from Michigan) regular with only 10 watts of transmit power. Congrats on the ticket. 73's
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

[quote="ric14854"I just need to figure out a good counterpoise to improve the receive, probably will try a KISS eventually.
\[/quote]

I looked up the counterpoise KISS you mentioned. Before going that route, try just 8 feet or so of wire from the braid side of the coax connector where it connects to the antenna (I'm guessing the back stay) as a counterpoise. It doesn't need to drape into the water, either. The counterpoise will make the most difference in transmitting, rather than on receive. You can vary the length of the wire used for the counterpoise, too, or even wrap it in a large loop, in a locker, if needed. There are other ways to change the reactance of the "long wire" antenna, but it usually limits the frequency to one band.

It won't cost much, and could save the expense of what appears to be a rather pricy KISS wire.

73 de Terry N6BVZ/4
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I finally ended up getting an ICOM M802. I hope to have it up and running this weekend, if my PL-259 connectors come in...and I pass my General test. I was listening to the Pacific Seafarers' Net last night on someone's SDR relayed through the internet and heard KD6XU Ma Kai out of Pago Pago in the American Samoa who was making way to Fiji. Pretty cool.

If anyone is interested in trying to connect real time, let me know. You can PM me on this board.
-david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947