Inner Genoa Tracks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frenchy

Inner Genoa Tracks

Post by Frenchy »

I would like to learn more about using the inner tracks on my CD33. I've tried them with 110 and 135
genoas and had no luck. With a blade jib, I had good results with a pair of forward mounted inner tracks,
positioned near the front of the cabin. I don't think I've seen another 33 with these forward tracks. They
are not recessed, like the factory inner tracks aft.
With the 135 led to the outboard track and sheeted in tight, the boat can sail to about 35 degrees apparent.
With the blade sheeted to the forward inner track, the boat points a few degrees better.
So I'm left wondering what the factory-installed inner tracks are good for. Hopefully, someone will
enlighten me. Thanks, Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Paul D.

Re: Inner Genoa Tracks

Post by Paul D. »

Looking at the sail plan it seems like they would be used only with a 100% jib or less, allowing somewhat better sheeting angles. I've not used ours as leaving a track padeye on them to make fast a snatch block would take out more toes than I have for the amount of times I would use them. I could see their value with a gale sail or small jib with the wind forward the beam.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Thanks, Paul - I kind of figured as much. I know exactly what you mean about stubbing toes, as that
is what I've been doing with the cars mounted. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I have a similar set of tracks on my 25D. I use them with the genoa furled less than 100%, which this windy summer was pretty often.

Noticed that my 150% genoa, when furled below 100%, has a truly awful sail shape. It just bags out. Moving the car forwards (more than I would think) seems to help a little because most of the bagginess is up high and so pulling down harder helps a little.

I've considered trying to raise my 100% jib on a separate halyard without a stay, just to see if offers better sail shape than the furled genoa. Might also add a dyneema "stay" which I only tighten when needed to convert the boat to a cutter when I want to reduce sail.
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

The only use we have found is hauling one of us up the mast. We run the main halyard through a block on the foredeck and back through a block on that track to the genoa winch. Otherwise we remove the block so we don’t trip over it.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC