Let's Build a Laminated Tiller

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: Let's Build a Laminated Tiller

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks great, thanks for sharing. The leather cover for the handle seems very practical. I’ve seen many fancy tillers with full length “sheaths” over the years to protect them when not in use.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Nice work John!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Jim Walsh wrote:Looks great, thanks for sharing. The leather cover for the handle seems very practical. I’ve seen many fancy tillers with full length “sheaths” over the years to protect them when not in use.
I've never seen a leather tiller cover, so I look forward to seeing John's photo when it is done.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it made me wonder if anyone does the same for oar handles? My sculling oar when stowed rests on the KiwiGrip of my deck, which sands through the varnish and roughs up the wood in very short order.

--Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

We moved the Far Reach down to Jarrett Bay Monday for haul out. Truth be told I almost forgot we did not have a tiller on the boat till the night before when I was loading the truck. "Oh darn, there is no tiller on the boat!" LOL. That would have been a major screw up. So, I took the new one out of the shop and temporarily bolted it to the tiller head. We didn't sail since there were no sails on the boat. They are all bagged up to go to NY loft. But the tiller worked fine motoring (why wouldn't it.). It's a couple inches shorter and a little thinner than the old one. I think it's an improvement though I was fond of the old one. With the boat on the hard it's back in the shop for the leather handle.

The only photo I have of it in action is the one of my daughter steering.
Attachments
C413F560-D351-4104-A97B-5827475AEC52.jpeg
C413F560-D351-4104-A97B-5827475AEC52.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 330 times