Engine sump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fmueller

Re: Engine sump

Post by fmueller »

I consider the pan to be an excellent immediate diagnostic tool/visual check as well as a catch all between the engine and the bilge.

Jerezana came to me with a well formed white GRP pan under the original YSM -8. When we re-powered to a Beta 14 we made sure to keep the pan, modifying the existing stringers as necessary. The stuffing box on my boat can't seep into the pan (there is a lip), so generally drip water will not collect there - just engine fluids (if any).

It came into play when the engine was new 5 years ago and the original expansion tank hose from the radiator cap had a pinhole leak ... And I immediately saw the 2-3 oz of coolant captured by the pan and could identify it. Last year my sump pump-out hose began to seep - about a teaspoon per trip - I'd have no idea even now, if not for the pan, except maybe the bilge would be getting slimy - but that's not very definitive. The pan displays small problems before they become serious.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Steve Darwin wrote:I empty the engine pan with a fuel bulb: about 1 ft. of stiff hose to insert into the pan and about 6 ft. of flexible rubber hose from the bulb up through the companionway, over the bridge deck, and down into a cockpit drains. Didn't think the bulb would lift to that height, but it works.
That won't solve the issue of "not pumping oil" overboard...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

Steve Laume wrote:After dealing with this situation for a few years, I added a 1" drain tube that would allow the pan to empty into the bilge. This can be stopped with a standard rubber plug.
sounds like a good solution Image