Springy Cabin Sole?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Springy Cabin Sole?

Post by casampson »

I'm in the process of selling my CD 25 and a prospective buyer said that there was delamination in the floor of the main cabin, mostly around the bilge. She showed me that the sole depressed a little bit when she stepped on it. This was true enough, although the depression was not more than a fraction of an inch. The funny thing is that a previous prospective buyer went all over the boat with a meter and found no signs of a soggy core anywhere.

I do not intend to lower the price, because I am at rock bottom already, but is this a big deal? I have a feeling it's been this way for decades, but no one has ever noticed it. How much might it cost to have this professionally repaired?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Jim Walsh

Re: Springy Cabin Sole?

Post by Jim Walsh »

[quote="casampson How much might it cost to have this professionally repaired?[/quote]

Just tell the buyer you’ve already priced accordingly then throw her a bone and knock a couple hundred bucks off, begrudgingly. To bring a pro in could range from a couple hundred bucks to thousands. No one knows till they start opening things up. You could always tell her to hire a surveyor for several hundred bucks for a professional wild guess. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Springy Cabin Sole?

Post by Joe Myerson »

She should hire a surveyor. If not, it's usually caveat emptor, but as Jim says, if she wants the boat without a survey, you should give her a couple of hundred off. I'm facing the same problem with my 40-year-old 25D.

-Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627