Improved Boom Tent

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Typhoon4Fun

Improved Boom Tent

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

If it's raining while we're at anchor, I like to deploy a boom tent so that we can open the companionway, and if it's not a total deluge, sit in the cockpit. But if it's at all breezy, I have found that the boom tent starts flapping obnoxiously, and rain will blow into the cockpit.

We thought about a real dodger but after some consideration (and taking in some of the debates in the forum archives) decided that for the vast majority of our sailing, we prefer not having one. Plus, a boom tent, while less effective, can be DIY'd for much cheaper.

I think that by having the forward edge of the tent lead up from the deck, wind won't be as apt to catch and flap it. And it will be more effective at keeping rain out of the cockpit. I mocked it up using tarp clips and was pleased with my preliminary results. Next step will be to sew up a draft version using scrap material over the winter, see how it fits in the spring, and then modify as necessary for the final version. I'm thinking I will sew in straps to roll up the leading edge if we just want some shade, or to roll the aft end to just cover the companionway.

wikakaru

Re: Improved Boom Tent

Post by wikakaru »

Nice! Does that give you enough headroom with the tent staying under the boom? What kind of material are you using?

--Jim
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

wikakaru wrote:Does that give you enough headroom with the tent staying under the boom?
It felt a little cramped but there was sitting headroom in the cockpit. The tarp clips are like 5" long so I'll be able to scootch the finished product up at least a little bit. The battens, which I didn't mention but are pictured in the second photo, do help.

I expect I'll roll up the forward portion and tie the tent over the boom when I'm just looking for shade. Will try to get some photos with people for scale.

Still need to do more research on materials. Since it won't be permanently deployed I figure I might not need sunbrella, but the price doesn't seem all that different from some cheaper alternatives (https://www.chicagocanvas.com/product/i ... -the-yard/). I do want something more durable than the cheap green tarp in my photos. Any recommendations?
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Since it is a tent, after all, maybe a ripstop nylon? https://www.owfinc.com/LS-19oz-Ripstop- ... C1.9TANUV/
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Perhaps employing the boom would preclude or at least minimize the need for battens and you would have the maximum amount of headroom. You would still have the option of enclosing the forward section to allow the use of the companionway in inclement weather.
A medium density fabric would be less inclined to “balloon” in the wind and be far less noisy. Might be a good place to make use of an old sail if you have one. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I really like the way the forward end of your tent is low to keep the wind from getting under the tent, lifting it, and causing the tent to flap. I wonder if there is a practical way to keep that low front, but get the back part up above the boom for more living space in the cockpit? It seems like a complex shape to create.

I have tried using a standard nylon camping tent fly as my boom tent, and found that the corner grommets pulled out in relatively low winds--maybe 15-20 knots. If you used nylon, the corners would have to be heavily reinforced like sail corners are for it to hold up. But nylon would stow into a much smaller space than Sunbrella, which is important on a little boat like a Typhoon.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Thanks for weighing in, all!

Maybe I will experiment a bit more with trying to get the tent over the boom. I think the way to do it would be to keep the section between the boom and deck one piece, with a zipper along the ridgeline, leaving an opening for the boom. Or vice versa: solid piece over the boom, zip up the portion between the boom and deck.

My only concern is that the opening would be right around the companionway and I could see water dripping in if I didn't shape the opening just so. Or maybe it would be as simple as extending a flap of fabric along the ridgeline beyond the opening to cover it.. This would be a much greater test of my sewing skills!

I was considering ripstop nylon but Jim and Jim confirm my suspicion that it might flap more and wear more too easily. I DO have some old sails in my attic, though so that's an interesting suggestion.
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Post by eb1smith »

I saw this video on the YouTubes and thought it would be a good idea:

https://youtu.be/LsnM-ce-M0E

--Eric
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

eb1smith wrote:I saw this video on the YouTubes and thought it would be a good idea:

https://youtu.be/LsnM-ce-M0E

--Eric
Oh I love the system for supporting the ridgeline with the main halyard! Brilliant. I put this one down for a while because we were thinking about getting a larger boat but i don't think that's happening now so i might try to rig something up..