Keel Plug

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Wilson

Keel Plug

Post by Wilson »

Missing the keel plug on our Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement? Searched the vendors on the Cape Dory membership association web site and came up empty.
Thanks, Mark
Jim Walsh

Re: Keel Plug

Post by Jim Walsh »

One source https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... id=1294136#
You will have to determine if you require a 1/2” NPT plug.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Why pay "marine store" prices for a threaded plug, unless you are hung up on bronze? Galvanized steel works just as well for this particular application and you can get them at a local hardware store. The two metals are isolated from each other by the teflon thread.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
charlesaf3

Post by charlesaf3 »

question, where is your keel plug? My Typhoon doesn't seem to have one. Wondering if I can't find it, or if it's covered up.

On a practical note, if you can determine the size and threading, I bet you could get it from Mcmaster Carr etc
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Garboard drains were not factory installed. They are owner installed. If you have one, you would know it. They are very obvious when the boat is on the hard. Take a look at my garboard drain forward of the prop and just above the wood blocking. That's what they look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
charlesaf3

Post by charlesaf3 »

ah yes, that makes sense, I certainly have nothing obvious