Weather stripping in cockpit lockers?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Weather stripping in cockpit lockers?

Post by Joe Myerson »

A few seasons ago I decided to add some basic hardware-store weatherstripping to the edges of my companionway engine cover. It helped reduce the annoying rattling that's inevitable with a 1GM.

Now I'm thinking about using the same inexpensive fix on the covers of my cockpit lockers, because they have rattled when I run the engine--and they also provide an easy entrance for rainwater.

Have any CD owners actually done this? It seems so simple I can't believe I hadn't done it before.

Thanks,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Carl Thunberg

Re: Weather stripping in cockpit lockers?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I put weatherstripping under the cockpit locker covers on my former CD30. It worked well to reduce the rattling. I suppose it would also reduce leakage, but I don't recall leaking as being a problem because they shingle fairly well already.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

Yes = my CD25 had foam weather stripping on cockpit locker hatches when I bought it in 1984, and it's still adequate - no leaks.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I did it on my CD28 and I am pleased with the result, both in that the hatches close quietly and firmly.

The reason I did it was I got pooped (wave broke into the cockpit) and a alarming quantity of seawater made its way into the lockers.

I used half round EDPM attached with contact cement which has worked well over the last several years. I've not had the opportunity to confirm how well they seal if flooded, but it also reduced the annoying (if harmless) ingress of drops from washing the boat with a hose.

I couldn't figure out how to seal the back edge with the hinges so had to leave that whole edge unsealed.

As a side note, I always secure the latch with the padlock (unlocked) so that a knock-down or pooping situation doesn't allow the hatch to open itself and allow water to rush in.

-steve