Removing plywood under 25D cockpit?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dje_sailboat

Removing plywood under 25D cockpit?

Post by dje_sailboat »

Hi all, new CD owner and sailor, just bought a 25D at the end of last year and I'm refitting it with an electric motor. I'm trying to get additional space in the engine compartment/under the cockpit for batteries, and I'm wondering if these plywood bulkheads/panels on either side of the compartment are structural or if I can remove them? This is looking towards the stern from the opening to the engine compartment, the port side has openings cut in it already and the starboard side is still solid:

Can I safely remove anything that's not glassed in?

Thanks!
fritz3000g

Re: Removing plywood under 25D cockpit?

Post by fritz3000g »

I don't know the answer to your question, but as fellow new 25D owner I'm eager to hear about your experiences. Thanks!
wikakaru

Re: Removing plywood under 25D cockpit?

Post by wikakaru »

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like there is a gap at the top of the board to the left in the photo and that it doesn't connect to the bottom of the cockpit at all. Or maybe it's just the lighting. Does the board seem to be adding support to the cockpit sole?

--Jim