CD 30 MII Thoughts?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Robert Douglas

CD 30 MII Thoughts?

Post by Robert Douglas »

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are in the market for our next Cape Dory. We are looking to move-up from a 25D to a 28 or perhaps a 30. I came accoss a CD 30 MKII for sale
near me. Beautiful Boat! Is anyone familiar with this model? It is not an Alberg design, the bow has less of an overhang, and the stern is larger/flatter. I was wondering if this boat has the same easy motion as a typical CD. Might the stern be an issue in a larger following sea? Thanks for any info/help folks can provide.

Best,
Robert
gonesail

Re: CD 30 MII Thoughts?

Post by gonesail »

i think the mkII is a perfect design for 2 people. it has modern features like a built in propane locker and large head area. the holding tank is in the keel. all other tanks are accessible and removable. my boat has a cutter rig which is great. hefty bowsprit for anchor and forestay. generous jib tracks. conservative sail plan is easily handled. cockpit works well with wheel steering and canvas dodger. large galley area with gas stove. lots of drawers and cabinets. beautiful teak interior. robust construction. strong hardware. drawbacks? engine access is challenging. no chart table. the fixed ports. these boats are 30 years old now. for me the mkII is a little boat that thinks it's a big boat.
Robert Douglas

Post by Robert Douglas »

Thanks so much for the insights! That's how I feel about my 25D, a small boat that thinks she's a big boat! I sail out of Boston and though 90% of my sailing will be coastal I am holding out to use the boat for longer trips, like to Bermuda and beyond. Do you have any thoughts on her sea going ability if properly equiped? Ability to heave to - things like that? Thanks for your help!
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

mine was a Bahamas boat that made it to the out islands .. with solar panels over the cockpit and extra fuel tanks on deck .. pretty self sufficient. I can't speak to your question about heaving to .. but have no doubt you could do a Bermuda trip with reasonable preparation. the mkII is definitely a big boat compared to your 25D.
Robert Douglas

Post by Robert Douglas »

Thanks so much! I do hope to take some longer trips my experience and skills grow. I appriciate the insight and will report back on the buy/sale. Thanks!
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

I just bought a CD 30 MkII. Hull #8. My name is Dan.
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL