Electric CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

VaCD25

Electric CD25

Post by VaCD25 »

Have been using and testing newepropulsion spirit 1.0 evo(regen model)
I now have two batteries, one on each side. I'm also installing the remote throttle kit. I will save tiller for backup
So far, it has worked well, pushes the boat about 4.3knts in dead calm, 3.7 into 15kt headwind...only 1.7kts into 1-2' chop with 15kt headwind....this is at full throttle.
In calm conditions light headwind she will go, 3kts at 1/3 throttle.
There is a short video on YouTube,

Epropulsion 1.0 Evo in Cape Dory25 Sailboat 3.2kts @ 1/3 throttle" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/m09-ftpIcRM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speedgraphic

Re: Electric CD25

Post by Speedgraphic »

Very cool! I am considering one of these motors for my Daysailer (O'Day), so a much lighter design. I've been a little nervous around here though because it's coastal Maine where some rivers meet the ocean. Currents can be strong, more so than headwind. I'm a little nervous that I'll run out of juice against current with no wind...even though I'm never more than 5 or 6 miles from my mooring. Usually I motor off my mooring and have to go a mile or so to a good sailing ground...then the wind my die later in the day and I have to make my way back.

Do you have any insight for me on that question? I'm sure it'll push my boat easily, but what are the real world range results like?
VaCD25

Post by VaCD25 »

Real life range will vary but at 1/3 throttle in calm conditions...3.5hrs so 10miles or so boat boat went 3.2knts. Now against a current obviously that will vary.
We took boat on a calm day with a bit of current in 1 direction...used 1/2 battery and traveled 4.8 miles average 3.8kts, throttle position varied but mostly between 1/3 and 1/2 with a full throttle stint here and there...playing around.
I did buy a second battery, which was not cheap, but figured cheap money if it kept me from being stuck while wife was on board.
I will say an O'Day daysailer is a much different boat and would assume you would be very happy.
There is absolutely no noise, no fumes, no oil...engine is extremely light especially with battery detached.
So far I'm happy. I ran into chop with 15-20knt and it slowed boat down to 1.5kts at full throttle...not ideal. I put the 100%jib up, motor sailed/tacked into the wind and chop...no issues
Wind alone, slows the boat but still moves over 3 kts into 15knt headwind.
I don't have a ton of experience with it yet but I did go on a 10 mile sail a month ago, boat speed was between 4 and 6kts...motor was in regeneration mode most of the trip....ranging from 25w to 50w. When I arrived at my destination battery was fully charged, started fully charged. I motored for about 15-20min at 1/2- 3/4 throttle. When we started sailing battery was down about 15%.
Hope this help. I'll try and answer any other questions
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

Just want to say I got my Spirit 1.0 and 2 batteries. What a great little motor! I can make pretty decent way at only 200-300w, which gives me hours of run time. Definitely not power boat speeds but great for a sailboat.

No more GAS.
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

One more update and kind of a surprise. A real benefit of the electric outboard has been in motor sailing. Most if not every time I'm sailing out here in Maine I get into areas of low or unreliable wind between an island or with/against current. The Spirit 1.0 is so easy to add into the equation by just giving me a little bump. No pull start nonsense, just give it like 100-200w of power, the time remaining still said 9:59 so you could just go all day. Then when I get to my sailing ground with reliable winds I just pull the motor up and go for it.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Sounds like a good solution for your needs, especially for the CD25's outboard well setup: light weight makes it easy to pop in and out of the outboard well; you can stow it down below with no worry about explosive fumes; enough range and speed for the type of sailing you do; plus generates power while sailing if desired. I'd be interested to see an update at the end of the season to see what you think then, and a follow-up every year or so to see if there are any issues with longevity or quality.

Nice going to be launched in Maine by mid-April. I just brought my boat to the house to start commissioning it for the season. Hopefully I will be joining you on the water soon!

Smooth sailing,

Jim