CD25 cockpit coaming replacement.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

gianlisi

CD25 cockpit coaming replacement.

Post by gianlisi »

Hello everybody,

the wooden cockpit coaming on our CD25 has broken off, the board split in half aft of the jib cleat.

Would you have any suggestion on how/where I could get it fixed, and an idea of how much it could cost?

I am based in Boston, heading to Maine in a week or so. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and fair winds!

Gianluca
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: CD25 cockpit coaming replacement.

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I broke a coaming on my CD25 many years ago. Dropped a line over the winch coming in too hot to the slip. Bad plan.

I bough a teak board, used the old one as a pattern and made a new one. I built a steam box (used the wife's electric frying pan to generate steam, another bad plan). I was able to get it to assume the curve safely.

It turned out so well no one every could tell which was new.

If it's only a crack there are some great glues available. You'll have a visible line but a lot less work.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
gianlisi

Post by gianlisi »

Dear Jerry,

thank you for your prompt reply! Can I take advantage of your expertise and ask two questions:

- do you know if the board is glued to the cockpit or just held in by screws?
- do you have any suggestion on how to detach the long part of the coaming from the shorter (and thicker) part that is screwed in the cabin top? I am wondering if I have to remove (and remake) both or not.

Thank you for your help!

Gianluca
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Mine was not glued on. She was a 1978 model year. Just the screws and caulk.

I took both pieces off as a unit and then carefully sawed the forward piece off of the main board. CAREFULLY! If you take too much you have a problem.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
gianlisi

Post by gianlisi »

Jerry,

Thanks! Really useful! I will follow your suggestions!

Gianluca
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Search the archives for the topic "Split Teak Coaming". There is a post from 12/1/2015 that involves repairing a split coaming with a "bowtie", which is basically a two-sided dovetail. Also search for the user "Tartansailor". Dick made a very elegant repair of his split coaming on his CD25.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton