12v Refrigeration Input Sought

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Re: 12v Refrigeration Input Sought

Post by wikakaru »

Steve Laume wrote:I doubt your batteries were at 13.2 volts when at rest. A fully charged battery, should show about 12.8V when at rest. Voltage tells you very little about amperage use. I run a battery monitor on Raven and it will tell me much more about the state of my batteries. I can scroll through, voltage, percentage of charge in amps, amperage draw or input, and actual number of amps left in battery bank. It is the percentage of charge that I find most useful.

When you are charging your batteries, you will see much higher voltages in the 14V range. After you stop charging, the voltage will slowly drop to give you an at rest voltage, if nothing is drawing on the batteries, this will give you a vague idea of amp hrs in the battery. If you draw current out of the battery at any time, the voltage may drop, below the at rest state, temporarily. This is why a volt meter is not a god way to judge battery state.

With a battery monitor, you can see exactly what your percentage of charge is. I have a pretty good solar array that usually keeps my batteries well charged. If for some reason they do discharge to the point that I feel the need to run the engine, I can see exactly how many amps the batteries are accepting. In the bulk charge phase I might be adding 25 or 30 amps. At some point it will fall off to single digits and it doesn't really pay to keep running the engine. I can also figure out if I should add additional amps to my battery bank to get through the night, when there is no solar energy, input.

Good batteries are not cheap. A battery monitor is a very good investment in keeping them in good condition as well as not finding yourself in a situation where you have run the batteries down to the point that you might not be able to start the engine and recharge your bank.

I still have the original CD panel with a Blue Seas sub panel. The original battery meter was pretty worthless but my battery monitor fit in the original hole. All the readouts are digital, down the tenths, so there is no guessing about any of the numbers.

You can't manage your energy if you don't have any data, Steve.
+1 on all of that Steve said. A proper battery monitor with a shunt that senses the actual power usage is the way to go if you need to rely on your electrical system. That's what I had on my 35-footers, and it is the only way to truly keep track of what is going on. That being said, on my CD22, which has a rudimentary electrical system and which is only used for short cruises, I just have the original analog volt meter. Since your CD30 has refrigeration, you are certainly at the level of complexity that a proper battery monitor is worth the investment.
JD-MDR wrote:
wikakaru wrote: it is averaging about 1.9 amps. Over the course of a day that is about 44.4 amp hours. That sounds low to me, but maybe it's right.
I see JS says his "Engle" uses less than 20 amp per day So it doesn't look low to me, Or Jim is just saying its seems low for my particular unit. Any way I'm getting some understanding of it.. I will try to figure out how to use a battery monitor and hook up the solar Panel .. A neighbor at La Paz gave me a 50 watt semi flexible panel. I set it up to test with clamps to the battery. It put out 14V. I havent used it yet.
Dang, I'm getting too much stuff (one of my worst nightmares)
Thanks for all the help.
As a rough data point, eMarine's web site says a marine fridge typically draws about 45 amp hours per day. My assumption was that the fridge shown would be less efficient than a typical water-cooled fridge, but the calculated 44.4 amp hours, while perhaps low for an air-cooled unit, is in the right ballpark. I wonder what the environmental conditions were for John's 20 amp hour figure--perhaps his trip to Michigan, where ambient temps are pretty low?
Steve Laume wrote:Be very careful with that solar panel. They typically put out 18 volts and however many amps the size of the panel and the amount of sun will provide. This is way too much for your battery to accept. This is especially true when it nears a full charge. You definitely need a charge controller. This is like a voltage regulator on your alternator. A good MPPT controller will optimize your panel output and is more cost effective than a PWM controller and a larger solar panel. This is especially true, since we only have limited space for panels.

There is a lot to learn in managing batteries and setting up a solar system, Steve.
Again, +1 on what Steve says. One rule of thumb about charge controllers says that if you have more than 1 watt of solar panel output for every 25 amp hours of battery capacity, you need a regulator. I'm guessing the system you describe exceeds that threshold--you would need to have a 1,250 amp hour battery bank to support an unregulated 50 watt panel and I seriously doubt you have that large a battery bank. MPPT controllers are relatively cheap, especially when compared to how expensive batteries are to replace if damaged by an unregulated charging source.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

blu seas monitor.png
Thanks again everyone. I'm thinking of getting this $40 "Aili" battery monitor: https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-Mon ... B07CTKYFTG
Or is that not a good idea since its probably not for marine environment. The good ones are $200-$300

The batteries say 690 cranking amps. Does that mean 2 batteries would have 1380. anyway someday I will get a regulator ,Maybe soon. If I were to use the solar panel as is without the regulator I would only keep it hooked up for a short time, an hour or two.

or: this one from Renogy https://www.renogy.com/500a-battery-monitor-with-shunt/
Aili is 100 amp and $27 on ebay. Renogy is 500 amp $79 . I still don't understand amps .
Blu seas is 500 amps but expensive https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea ... or--160161
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Each 12volt battery in the group 27 to 31 size you would typically find on our boats are plus and minus 100 amp hours.
You would definitely need to regulate a 50 watt panel.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

As a reference point, my fridge, in MA bay (pretty cool water), and Isotemp uses about 24Ah/ day. Here's the detail http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... ox#p213459
Jeff
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

PS what Steve said on solar regulation. You pretty much must have a regulator with a solar panel to avoid frying your batteries
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have been out of pocket for a couple weeks sailing home from the Virgin Islands. Let me see if I can catch up here. Agree with Steve L comments. I have two 45 watt solar panels. I have a separate Gensun GVS 5 amp controller on each one. MPPT. I went with 5 amp controllers because they matched the wattage of my panels. If I had a single control I would have needed the 10 amp controller. Bigger panels need more capable controllers. I wanted each panel to have a separate controller so if one panel is in the shade the other works full on. Remember, my panels are on separate 10' line extensions and I can move them around.

I like the Gensun. Simple and easy to install. About $65 each. There are a number of brands to choose from.

I have a Victron BV 700 monitor. About $110. A very good stand alone battery monitor. You can read up on it on the Marine How To website. Lots of different brands to choose from.

On my Jeep, however, I installed a Victron MPPT 75/10 Smart Controller. It's a combination MPPT solar controller and battery monitor that works through an app on my phone. It's great. But, I did not want to interface with my phone on the boat (so it's a stand alone system) in case something happened to my phone. There is at least one other CD sailor on the forum that uses the Victron combination battery monitor/MPPT controller and he likes it. I can't remember who it is. There is no visible battery monitor screen on the Victron combination unit. Your phone is the controller screen. Here is a link.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-cha ... s/mppt7510

Fridge. The Engle is a top of the line portable fridge. It has a special low energy draw motor. It's well insulated. And...it's only 35 liters. That's equal to 1.5 cuft. My icebox on the FR is ~3.4 cuft. The original ice box on the boat was 6 cuft. So while my very well insulated box is half the size of the original it is still three times the size of the Engle. There are many Engle testimonials suggest very low draw. For all these reasons that is why I think the Engle draws less than 20 amps a day. But...it's a guess without a monitor. All things equal a larger box requires more energy to cool.

Your fridge, while a good deal, is larger and probably not as well built as the Engle. 50-75 amps a day is the norm for sailboat fridges based on the many people I talked to in the Caribbean with similar sized boxes (3-5 cuft). That's why the info I gathered on the isotherme has my interests. There is some guess and speculation on my part about how it would perform on my boat. I don't like to guess, speculate or assume. It's not my way. So, I have not done anything about it yet.

So, that's why Jim's comment about your fridge energy use being a little on the low side amp usage wise is worth considering. If your energy usage info is accurate then it sounds like you have a good unit. Maybe not the best but you have to figure out the cost benefit break point for you. I am doing the same. Cube ice for 9 days. Block ice for 14 days (and the requirement to source it and haul it) verses $1500 for something I might or might not be able to live with energy wise.

Did I leave anything out?
Last edited by John Stone on May 27th, '22, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We use a portable Engel on Rover, and it works extremely well for us. It lives securely in the quarterberth. The routine when cruising is to buy our meat/poultry/seafood, vacuum seal it, and put it in the Engel overnight to freeze. Then we turn up the thermostat to frig temperature, and put in milk, etc. We cruise in cool water, so our fruits, vegetables, yogurt, cheese, etc are all stored against the hull below the waterline, under settees and in the bilge. As space opens up, these can be moved to the Engel.

You have to love a machine designed so well. Energy usage is low, and it has only one moving part!
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

[quote="John Stone"
Did I leave anything out?[/quote]
Thanks, once again John for all your help. You covered all my questions.. I sailed about the past few days with the auto pilot and refer on. The house bank seems to hold up fine. I motored up to another cove about 4 hrs and my transmission did it's usual. It was way hot and made a horrible grinding noise when I tried to put it in gear. That is, after I put it in neutral when maneuvering around to anchor. So I am looking for another gearbox. Oh well. I get shoulder replacement this Thursday and will be disabled for a few months. I am looking for some crew so I can still get out to the islands
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hi everyone. I am resurrecting this refrigeration thread I started while I was in the Caribbean as I have more data to share.

The FR is on the hard in NC and does not yet have her cover on. I took the the 35 liter Engle MT 35 to the boat. It was set to 34°F. Two, gallon jugs of water and two pint jugs of water. All down to 34° temperature. Put the Engle in the boat connected 12v system via socket. Air temps H85°/L75°. Ran it overnight. Got back to boat about 1030 next day. Sunny. Battery on float at 13.4v. SOC 100 percent. So, that was useful info. Then, I turned the solar off. Left the boat overnight. Went back to boat today. Battery draw in previous 21.5 hours was 18.2 amps. When running, Engle drawing 2.5 amps. Basic math suggest Engle drawing 0.8 ah over 24 hour period which would essentially equate to 20 amps over 24 hours without any battery charging.

I could live with that. But, there is no convenient place to put the Engle that would not annoy me. So , I need to think about what to do.

I have some more info regarding the isotherm. I'll share it shortly. Thanks to everyone for continued interest and input. I have learned a lot.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Hi everyone. I am resurrecting this refrigeration thread I started while I was in the Caribbean as I have more data to share.

The FR is on the hard in NC and does not yet have her cover on. I took the the 35 liter Engle MT 35 to the boat. It was set to 34°F. Two, gallon jugs of water and two pint jugs of water. All down to 34° temperature. Put the Engle in the boat connected 12v system via socket. Air temps H85°/L75°. Ran it overnight. Got back to boat about 1030 next day. Sunny. Battery on float at 13.4v. SOC 100 percent. So, that was useful info. Then, I turned the solar off. Left the boat overnight. Went back to boat today. Battery draw in previous 21.5 hours was 18.2 amps. When running, Engle drawing 2.5 amps. Basic math suggest Engle drawing 0.8 ah over 24 hour period which would essentially equate to 20 amps over 24 hours without any battery charging.

I could live with that. But, there is no convenient place to put the Engle that would not annoy me. So , I need to think about what to do.

I have some more info regarding the isotherm. I'll share it shortly. Thanks to everyone for continued interest and input. I have learned a lot.
I don’t blame you for bordering on analysis paralysis. I love refrigeration but I hate the power consumption which accompanies it. I can understand what motivates people to transform a once lovely sailboat into a solar farm but I still find it takes away from the innate beauty of a sailboat. The smaller a boat is the more homely it makes them look. What is barely noticeable on that fifty footer stands out like a sore thumb on a thirty footer.
We need a “cold fusion” solution….perhaps I’ll take a quick trip in H. G. Wells time machine and see if I can’t abscond with some future solution to our piddly energy needs so we can one again grace the waterfront with our graceful craft….
In the meantime I’ll continue to supplement my battery bank with a solar panel and my diesel’s alternator.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:
John Stone wrote:Hi everyone. I am resurrecting this refrigeration thread I started while I was in the Caribbean as I have more data to share.

I don’t blame you for bordering on analysis paralysis. I love refrigeration but I hate the power consumption which accompanies it. I can understand what motivates people to transform a once lovely sailboat into a solar farm but I still find it takes away from the innate beauty of a sailboat. The smaller a boat is the more homely it makes them look. What is barely noticeable on that fifty footer stands out like a sore thumb on a thirty footer.
We need a “cold fusion” solution….perhaps I’ll take a quick trip in H. G. Wells time machine and see if I can’t abscond with some future solution to our piddly energy needs so we can one again grace the waterfront with our graceful craft….
In the meantime I’ll continue to supplement my battery bank with a solar panel and my diesel’s alternator.
Exactly Jim. I am just trying to understand how this is going to play out. I am loath to get sucked into the design spiral on refrigeration. I'll call isotherm tomorrow with a couple more questions. One is can I load the box up with ice if I use a holding plate. Will I damage it? If I were to sail to Europe there is a a lot of cloud cover. The solar won't keep up. But coming back home via the canaries/Cape Verde islands and all through the Caribbean there is gobs of sunlight. All through the South Pacific I think there is a lot of sunlight. But out of the trades and into the higher latitudes there is often days and days of cloud cover. So that indicates a wind generator and there you go right down the path I want to avoid. I hate all that stuff cluttering my boat.

And another question. My icebox is bigger than I thought. Unless my math is dorked up it's not 3.8cf, it is instead 4.4cf. That means I probably need to go with the 3751 SP. Bigger holding plate (it will fit) and a larger compressor, DF 50 instead of the DF 35 on the 3251 SP. So, does the bigger system use more energy than the smaller system in the same size box? Seems the bigger holding plate takes more energy to freeze but when frozen would last longer than the smaller one so the compressor would not run as often. Less energy. But I don't know if that's how the thermodynamic energy process works. Maybe someone here knows?

I have time to think on this some more. I have all winter in fact since the boat is out of the water till probably late March.

As sooon as it stops raining here I can get the boat under cover and make preparations for removing the coamings.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:...

And another question. My icebox is bigger than I thought. Unless my math is dorked up it's not 3.8cf, it is instead 4.4cf. That means I probably need to go with the 3751 SP. Bigger holding plate (it will fit) and a larger compressor, DF 50 instead of the DF 35 on the 3251 SP. So, does the bigger system use more energy than the smaller system in the same size box? Seems the bigger holding plate takes more energy to freeze but when frozen would last longer than the smaller one so the compressor would not run as often. Less energy. But I don't know if that's how the thermodynamic energy process works. Maybe someone here knows?

I'm just speculating, but it makes sense that the larger unit would cool faster and/or run less often. If the two systems are similarly efficient (and there is no reason to think that they wouldn't be since they are just different sized versions of the same system), the amount of energy required for cooling should be a factor of insulation, ambient temperature, how much the box is opened, how much food is in it, etc.

Glad to see you got a good baseline with the Engle. 20 amp-hours is a pretty reasonable number for refrigeration.

I'm interested to hear your report about your Q&A session with Isotherm and seeing how this project progresses.

--Jim