Leoma N. Pacific Cruise

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma N. Pacific Cruise

Post by JD-MDR »

This is a practice posting my route. It's the only way I figure out . Others do it so Nice .Please advise. I'm taking screenshots from Navionics and using the distance tool to get the lines.
Route Ventura to Pyamid Cove.png
Route Ventura to Pyamid Cove.png (277.51 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Supposedly the InReach mini has a routing feature but I haven't figured it out .Here is my intended route to Ensenada from Ventura. I probably will anchor at Pyramid cove at San Clemente Island. Notice Cortez Banks.. Thats where the surfers go for the giant waves
Attachments
Route Pyramid Cove.png
Route Pyramid Cove.png (103.3 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Route P Cove to Ensenada.png
Route P Cove to Ensenada.png (228.7 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Last edited by JD-MDR on Feb 8th, '22, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Re: Leoma N. Pacific Cruise

Post by JD-MDR »

Here are the next three Legs. Ensenada to Isle Guadalupe to Bahia Tortuga and to Bahia Santa Maria
Then I will go around Cabo San Lucas and up to La Paz. Probably want to stop at San Lucas. I hope not. There is nothing there for me. I was there once. I think it's great for those who like to golf or drink or for sportfishing. Not me. I went to the museum. They have a mummy, some old bones and a whale skeleton. Thats about it
Attachments
Route Ensenada to Isle Guadalupe.png
Route Ensenada to Isle Guadalupe.png (112.11 KiB) Viewed 580 times
route Isle Guadalupe to Bajia Tortuga.png
route Isle Guadalupe to Bajia Tortuga.png (126.93 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Route Tortuga to Santa Maria.png
Route Tortuga to Santa Maria.png (168.2 KiB) Viewed 580 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Have fun on your cruise, Leoma Jim!

I think what you are looking for is the Navionics "Route" feature instead of "Measure Distance". Here's a short video from Navionics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfjG0tOTcI

Smooth sailing,

Dory Jim
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jim That was really helpful. I didnt realize I can just google" how to' whenever I want to figure something out. Like I told you I'm not very used to using the computer. It seems like to use the tracking on the InReach I would need someone on the other end to receive the locations that are sent at timed intervals . Also they charge per each time location is sent , I'll keep trying.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

JD-MDR wrote:Thanks Jim That was really helpful. I didnt realize I can just google" how to' whenever I want to figure something out. Like I told you I'm not very used to using the computer. It seems like to use the tracking on the InReach I would need someone on the other end to receive the locations that are sent at timed intervals . Also they charge per each time location is sent , I'll keep trying.
Glad I could help.

You are correct, one of the key ways InReach helps with safety is if you have a concerned, responsible party ashore who can keep track of your position reports and call the authorities when your normal position reports unexpectedly stop. In the old days I used to have ham radio skeds with my brother who was also a ham radio operator. Same idea, just much lower tech. Satellites make it so much simpler now.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD
I just found this. Thanks for posting. Imma going to read it chronology. A treat.