Adding 30 degree angled steps to companion way stairs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Adding 30 degree angled steps to companion way stairs

Post by John Stone »

Good work. Very rewarding when you are pleased with the plan, execution, and results of a project.

Interesting how different the aft layouts between the two CD 30s in the photos--your boat and gonesail.
Last edited by John Stone on May 1st, '22, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

tjr818 wrote:Do you find yourself kicking that electrical panel? The photo makes it look as though the panel is pretty close.
no .. not even close. panel is probably 12" from the steps.
Keith

Post by Keith »

John Stone wrote:Good work. Very rewarding when you are pleased with the plan, execution, and results of a project.

Interesting how different the aft layouts between the two CD 30s in the photos--your boat and gonesail.
Very rewarding indeed!

Gonesail is a CD30MkII designed by Clive Dent, production 1987-1990, 31 built and MOONDANCE is a 1979 CD30 designed by Mr Alberg, production 1976-1986, 363 built

Keith
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Keith wrote:
John Stone wrote:Good work. Very rewarding when you are pleased with the plan, execution, and results of a project.

Very rewarding indeed!

Gonesail is a CD30MkII designed by Clive Dent, production 1987-1990, 31 built and MOONDANCE is a 1979 CD30 designed by Mr Alberg, production 1976-1986, 363 built

Keith
I knew there was a different designer for a couple of CDs but I didn't know Alberg and Dent both designed a CD 30. There must be an interesting story behind that decision.

I looked them both over on sailboat data. Interesting to see how they are different yet similar. I am sure Andy V did not want Dent to stray too far. Alberg's boat are unmistakably similar to one another. All his CD lines are very similar to the Far Reach. Seems most designers have their unique fingerprints that are in their boats. You can usually spot an SS when drawn by Olin Stephens.

Fascinating.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Many years ago I had a Yankee Dolphin 24 which was designed by SS. It looks very similar to a CD25D with the exception that it was a keel/centerboard. There was a handful of designers in the 60’s/70’s the designed the type of boats we are drawn to.

On another note an interesting story about Carl Alberg and Andy V. Before I bought MOONDANCE I looked at a CD30 Ketch. I commented to the broker that although it was a nice boat I really felt that 30’ was to small to be a Ketch. He laughed and said Carl Alberg agrees with you. He did not want to design a 30’ Ketch but Andy forced/persuaded him to. The broker he was working for CD at the time.

I have no way to validate this story but believe it to be true.

Keith
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Keith wrote:Many years ago I had a Yankee Dolphin 24 which was designed by SS. It looks very similar to a CD25D with the exception that it was a keel/centerboard. There was a handful of designers in the 60’s/70’s the designed the type of boats we are drawn to.

On another note an interesting story about Carl Alberg and Andy V. Before I bought MOONDANCE I looked at a CD30 Ketch. I commented to the broker that although it was a nice boat I really felt that 30’ was to small to be a Ketch. He laughed and said Carl Alberg agrees with you. He did not want to design a 30’ Ketch but Andy forced/persuaded him to. The broker he was working for CD at the time.

I have no way to validate this story but believe it to be true.

Keith

A little thread drift but, oh well... Certainly a lot of people feel that way today but there was a time when small ketches and yawls were quite popular. The Laurent Giles designed and John Guzzwell built 20' LOA Trekka comes to mind. (Yes, I know it's a yawl). Guzwell sailed her around the world in the mid 50's. She is still sailing today. A legendary boat. And if you have not read "Trekka Around the World" do your self a favor and consider reading it. A real adventure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.