CD27- Lewmar bronze ST winches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

CD27- Lewmar bronze ST winches

Post by csoule13 »

Looks like there's going to be some extra coin in the boat funds bucket this spring. Of all the things I wished I had single handing on busy lake, it's self tailing winches. I've got my eye on the Lewmar bronze 16s as a replacement for the barient 16s that came with the CD27.

Anyone else make this switch? Minus drilling mounting holes on the existing bases, is it safe to assume this is generally a plug and play replacement?

EDIT: Also considering the Andersen 18STs.

Much appreciated,
Chris
Jim Walsh

Re: CD27- Lewmar bronze ST winches

Post by Jim Walsh »

Yes it’s a plug and play installation. I replaced my original two speed 30’s with two speed self tailing 30’s. It just makes things a bit safer for a singlehander. You are no longer required to tail, winch, and cleat…..all at the same time. My originals are still in perfect condition on another members boat in the Caribbean at this moment. Properly maintained those bronze Lewmar winches last for generations.
Just be certain to read, understand, and follow the mounting instructions. If you need clarification this is the place to find it. A new set of self tailers is a wonderful addition to any boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

That's some sexy boat bling Jim. Thx.
Steve I

Post by Steve I »

Nice !
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

csoule13 wrote:Looks like there's going to be some extra coin in the boat funds bucket this spring. Of all the things I wished I had single handing on busy lake, it's self tailing winches. I've got my eye on the Lewmar bronze 16s as a replacement for the barient 16s that came with the CD27.

Anyone else make this switch? Minus drilling mounting holes on the existing bases, is it safe to assume this is generally a plug and play replacement?

EDIT: Also considering the Andersen 18STs.

Much appreciated,
Chris
I did this just last year on my CD27. I was looking at the 18ST's and contacted Andersen, who recommended the 12ST's writing to me:
"If you are replacing Lewmar 7’s the Andersen 18’s would be a lot of winch which is not necessarily a bad thing but you may consider going with the Andersen 12’s which I think would work well."
I bought and installed the 12ST's and came out great. I also bought new winch stands from Spartan (W800) as the 5 pattern holes on the old Barient were different than the 6 pattern holes on the Andersen.

The best part was the holes on the new stands matched perfectly with the combing boards. I did over drill, epoxy fill and re drill the holes through on the deck though to assure the best fit.

If anyone is looking for vintage stands and winches I have them to sell!
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Pair of Lewmar 16STs on order, so we'll see how this all goes. I'll say at $150/pop I'm not keen to replace the bases.

I'll do up a project post once these come in and I get it going. Looking forward to it. I barely sailed last year, and a good chunk of it is that single handing on a narrow lake with the finest powerboaters Chattanooga can provide creates a busy cockpit. These should help a good deal.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

If you are not in a hurry, I got my ST winches from West marine on a 2 for one sale. Both winches for $800. They were back ordered and had to wait 2 months.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

And, scene. I'll do a write up over on the projects board, but this was pretty straight forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I installed the Lewmar 16 STs as in the previous post. Very pretty initially but the bronze discolors quickly. I would go with the chrome if I could do it again. Constant polishing of the bronze if you want bling. Did install easily on the original pedestals after drilling new holes.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."