Removing CD28 Flybridge

Discussions about Cape Dory powerboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Growler

Removing CD28 Flybridge

Post by Growler »

Hello all, I need to remove the flybridge on a new-to-me CD 28 flybridge cruiser. I am looking to get some advice on how to go about doing so. Is there anyone on this group who has done the task and would be willing to provide an overview of the process and your experience? Thank you.
Carl Thunberg

Re: Removing CD28 Flybridge

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Where are you located? I'm in New Hampshire. This was done on my CD28 Cruiser, which was originally a Flybridge. I have a photo album full of photographs from when the work was done. I'm afraid it was done long before I owned the boat, so I can't offer any first-hand experience.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Growler

Post by Growler »

I live in Burlington, VT. Can you post or email me some of the photos?
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me right away. The photos are mounted in a photo album and they are pretty old and faded. I need to scan each one individually. The job was very professionally done. The only sign that a Flybridge was ever present is the "Cape Dory Trawlers" plate under the instrument panel at the helm and the old wiring chase tastefully covered with macrame in the photo below.

Is this a permanent removal or a temporary removal for hauling purposes (i.e. bridge clearance)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Growler

Post by Growler »

Though also necessary for transport, this is a permanent removal. Thanks for taking the time to post a few photos. I am most curious to see the condition of the cabin top following removal of the flybridge.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Sorry to be so slow in getting back to you. The photos in my photo album were taken from so far away that they are not at all helpful. I thought they had more detail than they really did. You had asked for photos of the cabin top without the flybridge, so here are a few I took after the boat was trucked. The radar dome, anchor light, and radio antenna have all been removed for trucking in the photos below. You would never know there was ever a Flybridge. The holes were all sealed with thickened epoxy, followed by non-skid paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sir Isaac Newton