Wish to buy a CD 22, CD 22D, or a Typhoon Senior

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
N Moore

Wish to buy a CD 22, CD 22D, or a Typhoon Senior

Post by N Moore »

Wish to buy a CD 22, CD 22D, or a Typhoon Senior. Having owned two Cape Dorys previously I an anxious to find a boat in the 22' length. I love the CD classic lines and find the CDs easy and satisfying to sail. Like the amount of wood trim and love varnishing. Your boat would be in good hands. Boat with trailer preferred.

N Moore
Speedgraphic

Re: Wish to buy a CD 22, CD 22D, or a Typhoon Senior

Post by Speedgraphic »

Any luck with your search? I'm in...or I should say out of...the same boat! I have been having an internal debate with myself about finding a CD22 or Senior vs the Sea Sprite 23 vs a Contessa 26.

The SS23 seems lovely but with the least interior space, the CD22/Seniors are damn near perfect, and the Contessa just mucks up my mind because they appear similar in price and can 'go further' so to speak.

I'm up in Maine so these boats are around. In fact in my area I pass a lot of SS23s on my Daysailer. They have such lovely lines.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

We have had a Typhooon, SS23 and a CD25D. We sold the Typhoon in favoer of the SS23 (we had to pick 2 of 3). We sail in Marblhead area and the extra length and weight of the SS23 is a big benefit over the Ty. Both fabulous sailing boats. Cockpits the same size. We only daysail the Ty and 23 so cabin size was a non-issue. The space for the head (ie. portapottie) is better on the SS23. The CD25D is great cabin wise and we continue to love sailing her, BUT the SS23 is a better sailing boat.

Given the choice between a CD22 and a SS23, I would likely choose the CD22. They are very similar but cabin is a little more commodius. The issue is the price. You will pay a massive premium for the CD22 based on the number produced. Ariel (my SS23) is my princess. Fabulous to sail and looks equally beautiful. Our non-sailing friends (everyone must have a few) feel more comfortable with the extra freeboard on the 25D.

Remember you love the lines of an Alberg design. It doesn't have to be a Cape Dory, but...

Just my .02!

Bly
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

Thanks for the insight! I think you're likely right about the CD22 over the SS23 designs. I'm guessing my ah...less sailing enthusiastic wife would also appreciate the creature comforts.

If costs were equal, hooo boy would I love a 25D. Seems like a just about perfect boat for a kidless couple. However the premium on them is what steers me toward designs like the Contessa 26.

Like everything it'll come down to what I'm presented with at the time.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Hello, my last 2 boats were Typhoon then Typhoon Senior. I thought of going up to a 25D but I have spent a couple of years updating and customizing each of them and didn't want to do it again. Also the 25D are way overpriced in my opinion and although they are trailerable you need good sized truck to move it. A third reason for me and the Senior is I can anchor and dock singlehanded, the 25 is too heavy. Have seen many seasprites in the bay and they move right along, I looked at one before my Typhoon but did not like the interior . Would love standing headroom but the trade-off is not for me. I still look at every one Posted!!!
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 354 times
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

Wow that Ty Senior is absolutely stunning! I would have so m much fun bouncing around the Maine coast on one of those.
N Moore

Post by N Moore »

What a great picture. And so much good info on the first response to my posting! I am going to take another look at the Sea Sprite. There does seem to be a few more of those available. I will keep checking back here every day to see if a boat appears that might work for me. (Wish I lived in Maine!)